You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News PNG–Cairns partnership formalised
PNG–Cairns partnership formalised
James Cook University and the Government of Papua New Guinea will formalise a research partnership with the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement at JCU Cairns tomorrow (Thursday 5 July).
The Memorandum outlines the way in which JCU (represented by The Cairns Institute) and the PNG Government (represented by the Department for Community Development) plan to work together on 18 research projects worth $5.5M.
“This is an exciting agreement, and the culmination of two year’s collaboration and discussion between Cairns and PNG,” Deputy Vice-Chancellor Dr Stephen Weller said.
“It is based on our mutual interest in enhancing life in the tropics and it will see The Cairns Institute applying its expertise, research and scholarship to issues of great importance to our nearest neighbour.”
Director of the Cairns Institute, Professor Hurriyet Babacan, said the Memorandum outlined the underlying principles of the research partnership, which included mutual respect, joint decision making and two-way learning.
PNG’s Secretary of the Department for Community Development, Mrs Anna Solomon, will sign the agreement. She will be accompanied on her visit to Cairns by the Department’s Deputy Secretaries Mrs Molly Willie and Mr Leo Kulumbu, First Assistant Secretary Mr Jack Simbau, as well as three other senior officers.
Professor Babacan said the Department for Community Development (DFCD) had prioritized two research projects for 2012–13.
Professor Babacan will lead a study of the nature and extent of disability in PNG.
Associate Professor Wendy Earles will investigate ways to improve information flow and analysis at a community level, in a project centred on information utilisation at PNG’s Community Learning and Development Centres.
“The DFCD’s primary function is to develop policies and legislation that promote community development,” Dr Babacan said.
“The Cairns Institute’s focus is on scholarship and research that will build a brighter future for the peoples of the tropics. This is an exciting partnership for us all.”
Professor Babacan said more than 45 JCU researchers were involved in projects covered by the Memorandum of Agreement.
“We are working with PNG researchers, professionals and community leaders, forging long-lasting partnerships on projects that will make a difference,” she said.
Issued July 4, 2012
Media enquiries: E. firstname.lastname@example.org T. 07 4232 1007
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture