You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Careers Fair connections
Careers Fair connections
Students, employers and professional organisations connected at the Careers Fairs on JCU’s Townsville and Cairns campuses this week.
The annual Fair was a special event in Cairns this year, celebrating JCU’s 25th year in Cairns.
KPMG assistant manager and JCU graduate Jayme Davies, who spent the day sharing her experience and advice with students, credits employer connections with giving her a start in her career eight years ago.
The accounting and advisory firm was among 41 exhibitors at the Cairns Fair offering opportunities across all study areas including dentistry, social work, psychology, nursing, business, sport and exercise science, creative industries and engineering.
Ms Davies, who has a Bachelor of Business and a Master of Professional Accounting from JCU, said KPMG currently employed 36 JCU graduates, with an intake of around 10 graduates each year in Cairns.
“These days, more than ever, it’s important to make contacts with employers and the Careers Fair is the ideal environment for that,” she said.
“The Fair is a key part of getting KPMG’s message out about what’s on offer. We do see people each year so we get to know them by the time they have their interview which makes the process more comfortable.”
JCU Graduate Employment Officer Lisa Crema said students from all faculties and year levels attended the Careers Fairs to talk to employers, professional associations and student groups.
“The Careers Fair leads to jobs for current students and graduates, mentoring opportunities as well as advice and information for all students,” she said.
“Whether it is a first year student wanting an idea of what to do with their career or a final year student wanting advice on job applications, the Careers Fair is beneficial for all students.”
In its first 25 years in Cairns JCU has conferred 5,920 degrees. The campus opened with just 117 students and eight first-year subjects in 1987. This year there are 4120 students and the campus now offers a huge range of courses from diplomas to doctoral programs.
Graduates have included 1102 teachers, 522 science graduates, 482 business graduates, 422 accountants, 336 social and community welfare workers, 323 nurses, 204 lawyers and 143 tourism graduates, while 206 students have completed their Master of Business Administration.
Deputy Vice Chancellor Stephen Weller said a growing student body and expanded offerings meant the Cairns conferrals were increasing rapidly.
“It might have taken two decades to produce our first 5,000 graduates, but our next 5,000 will take less than half that time,” he said.
Issued March 9, 2012
Media enquiries: E. email@example.com T. 07 4042 1007
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture