You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Stressing the importance of mental health
Stressing the importance of mental health
First published 4 October 2012
The impact mental stress has on the human body will be explored in a public lecture by a James Cook University researcher.
The talk is being held next week as part of part of the Medicine, Health and Molecular Sciences Public Lecture series.
The series showcases JCU’s research to the community and is designed to inform, educate and entertain residents about current health issues.
Associate Professor Zoltan Sarnyai will present Stress and the Brain: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on Wednesday, October 10.
Dr Sarnyai said most people encountered stress every day and experienced its profound effects on the brain and body.
“Stress has been suggested to contribute in the development of a number of mental disorders, including depression, substance abuse and schizophrenia,” he said.
People from lower socio-economic status and from minority groups were particularly subjected to stress and its harmful effects, however, no-one was immune, he said.
“Executives under pressure, adolescents dealing with the pains of growing up, couples trying to sort out their lives, are all susceptible,” he said.
“This talk will summarise current scientific research on how stress influences brain function, emotions, cognition and mental health and will highlight the biological interactions between psychosocial stress and depression as well as other aspects mental health and well-being.”
Dr Sarnyai is currently Associate Professor of Pharmacology at JCU.
He was previously University Lecturer in the Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge and a Fellow of Pembroke College, Cambridge where he served as Director of Studies for Medicine.
His current research focuses on thebiological mechanisms of stress and psychiatric disorders.
Dr Sarnyai’s research career included a Research Fellowship at the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, followed by a junior faculty position at The Rockefeller University in New York.
He published more over 80 original papers, review articles and book chapters in the field of neuroscience.
He was awarded the Curt P. Richter Prize by the International Society of Psychoneuroendocrinology for his work on neuropeptides and brain function and was a recipient of the prestigious Young Investigator Award from the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD).
Date: Wednesday 10th October 2012
Location: Medical Lecture Theatre, JCU Townsville campus
Everyone is welcome.
For interviews, contact Associate Professor Zoltan Sarnyai on (07) 4781 6992 oremail email@example.com
For more information, contact Kiara Cantamessa, Marketing & Events Assistant
on (07) 4781 5179, or on 0419 547 797.
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture