You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Teams vie for coveted Chancellor’s Cup
Teams vie for coveted Chancellor's Cup
First published 17 October 2012
Sporting teams from James Cook University and the Army recently battled it out in court sports, and this Friday night it will be rugby union’s turn.
JCU Sport and Recreation Manager Jason Ansell said the annual Chancellor’s Cup (and associated Commander Cup for women) event began in 2000.
It has been played eight times, with JCU leading 4-3, with one draw. The Army have been forced to cancel a few times as several players were on deployment.
“The concept originated as JCU and the Army are Townsville’s two largest organisations and have many ties,” he said.
“Most importantly, the Chancellor served in the Army and was also a professor here at JCU before becoming the Chancellor.”
The competition, which is always played at JCU’s Joe Baker Field, came about as part of a joint agreement between the JCU Student Association’s Sport and Rec office and the Army.
Mr Ansell said there was a short but intense preparation or training period for the players.
“The JCU team has had a couple of tryouts or trainings to pick the team, most of the guys that played in our 71-0 victory have moved on, so it will be a very new squad this year,” he said.
“They will have a final hit-out tonight (Wednesday) and will pick the 22-man squad from that.”
Mr Ansell said the competition was extremely intense, and the Army would no doubt be seeking to avenge last year’s loss.
“It’s always very fierce, especially after the embarrassing 71-0 thumping we gave the Army last year, we've heard they are out for revenge this year,” he said.
“The Women’s was won 20-0 by the Army last year and we hope to turn that around this year.”
In the past organisers have had crowds of more than 1000 attend, and he put the call out to the Townsville community to see if they could beat that this Friday night.
The games are open to anyone of the general public, he said.
“Usually we have a charity and it’s a gold coin donation but we haven't secured anything yet this year so at this stage it’s free.”
Commander Cup (Women’s)
Date: Friday 19th October
Chancellor's Cup (Men’s)
Date: Friday 19th October
For interviews or photos, contact Jason Ansell on 4781 4537 or mobile 0423 353 659.
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture