You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News A vision for Africa
A vision for Africa
James Cook University’s Outstanding Alumnus for 2012, Dr Rose Evaster-Aderolili, will discuss her personal vision for Africa in a public lecture in Cairns tomorrow (Tuesday 4 September).
Dr Evaster-Aderolili the University’s Outstanding Alumnus Award in a ceremony in Townsville last week.
She joined JCU in 1991 after working as an economist in Uganda and a lecturer in Papua New Guinea, and was JCU’s first Cairns-based lecturer in economics. She was awarded her PhD in 1996.
Joining the UN in 2001 as an Economic Affairs Officer at UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), she was promoted to Chief Economist at the United Nations Mission in Sudan where she dealt directly with humanitarian issues, advising on the needs of refugees.
She has been Chief Advisor to the UN as Special Representative of the Secretary General on humanitarian matters and reconstruction in Southern Sudan, and Acting Director/Officer in Charge for UNECA of the African Centre for Gender and Social Development.
Dr Evaster-Aderolili now heads the biggest program at UNECA, delivering research, policy advice and technical support to all 54 African countries in areas such as education, employment, health, gender, migration and youth.
She is now Chief of the Human and Social Development Program for the UN Economic Commission for Africa, based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
In her Cairns lecture she will reflect on her own journey and comment on both the economy and state of women’s rights on the African continent.
Dr Evaster-Aderolili has a vision for an Africa without poverty, disease or conflict. She aims to increase the economic and social development of a continent she believes has much potential. She also hopes to see Australia become more involved in the international development agenda.
The lecture will be held on Tuesday 4 September at the Crowther theatre at James Cook University in Smithfield. Refreshments will be served from 5.45 pm and the lecture will begin at 6.15pm. Admission is free and all are welcome.
To assist with catering, please register for the lecture at http://alumni.jcu.edu.au/DrRose2012 or tel 4042 1850.
Issued September 3, 2012
Media enquiries: E. firstname.lastname@example.org T. 07 4042 1007
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture