You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Cairns academic chosen for Hawaii Ironman
Cairns academic chosen for Hawaii Ironman
Two decades of competing in triathlons has earned a James Cook University lecturer a place in the 2012 Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii on October 13.
A senior lecturer at the Cairns campus Institute of Sport and Exercise Science, Dr Glen Deakin has competed in 21 Australian Ironman triathlons and was one of 80,000 triathletes vying to compete in Kona, the symbolic and spiritual home of triathlon.
“My commitment to the sport helped with my selection through the newly launched Ironman Legacy Program which is designed to allow loyal Ironman athletes the opportunity to compete in Kona at least once in their lifetime,” he said.
Dr Deakin, whose many research projects include the impact of triathlon training methods on recovery dynamics and race performance, has been training for up to 25 hours each week for the course’s gruelling 3.8km swim, 180.2km cycle and 42.2km run.
His role at the Cairns Institute of Sport and Exercise Science gives him a training edge as he has access to similar equipment used by athletes at the Australian Institute of Sport, including a Veletron cycle ergometer, a high-tech training bike hooked up to a large screen which together simulate the Kona course.
“I was a spectator at the Ironman in Hawaii 17 years ago, but haven’t competed in an international Ironman event yet,” Dr Deakin said.
“It is an intimidating course which crosses lava fields where you have to both ride and run in very windy, hot and humid conditions with temperatures in the high 30s.
“Imagine the worst day in Cairns in summer and it is even worse than that.”
Dr Deakin has another competitive advantage as his research has involved investigating the effects of heat stress and physical activity.
He is the co-inventor of the CoolMe vest, a disposable personal cooling device designed to limit the effects of heat stress during physical activity and speed recovery, which has won numerous awards including the ABC’s 2010 The New Inventors program.
“I don’t use the vest for training, but I do apply my knowledge in the field of sport and exercise science to give me an edge,” he said.
“Of course there is also a downside. I can overanalyse my training and become overly critical when sometimes I am just having a bad day.”
Dr Deakin’s progress in the race can be tracked on the Ironman World Championship website http://ironmanworldchampionship.com/.
Issued September 24, 2012
Media enquiries: E. email@example.com T. 07 4042 1007
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture