You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Nobel laureate to launch landmark report
Nobel laureate to launch landmark report
Nobel Laureate and Chair of the National League for Democracy, Aung San Suu Kyi is to launch a landmark, global report, The State of the Tropics.
The State of the Tropics brings together 12 research institutions from around the world to answer the critical question: is life in the tropics getting better?
Aung San Suu Kyi will be the keynote speaker at the launch of the report on June the 29th in Rangoon/Yangon.
Her speech will be broadcast to simultaneous events in Singapore, Cairns and Townsville. James Cook University is the convener of the international project.
JCU Vice Chancellor, Professor Sandra Harding says she’s delighted Aung San Suu Kyi has accepted the offer to launch the report.
“The report’s release and the forthcoming discussion will be a significant moment for an important zone of the world: Aristotle's torrid zone, or as we know it, the Tropics,” Professor Harding said.
“She is a woman of the Tropics who cares deeply for the future of the tropical world. To have someone of her stature release the report underscores the challenges and opportunities that the Tropics face”, Professor Harding said.
For the first time, 12 research institutions from across the globe have combined to develop the comprehensive report.
The State of the Tropics analyses a broad range of environmental, social and economic indicators and is designed to provide a foundation for policy makers, analysts and others to examine in greater detail the Tropics and the major issues affecting the region.
Professor Harding said that from an Australian perspective, the current national focus on northern Australia brings our place in the Tropics into sharp focus.
“The truth is that Australia sits at the intersection of two great axes of global growth – the Asian axis that everyone is seeing, and the tropical axis that fewer have seen.”
“The report will shine a huge spotlight on the significance and the potential of the Tropics, and the impact the Tropics will have on our world and our understanding of the world for decades to come,” Professor Harding said.
Aung San Suu Kyi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991. She spent 15 years under house arrest for her efforts to develop a non-violent protest against the brutal rule of the U Ne Win regime.
Further details of The State of the Tropics can be found at www.stateofthetropics.org/
Details of media arrangements for the June 29th launch will be revealed closer to the date.
Media inquiries: Caroline Kaurila, Media Liaison, (07) 4781 4586 / 0437 028 175
Issued April 23, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture