You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News International students ready to get started at JCU
International students ready to get started at JCU
International students ready to get started at JCU
More than 50 James Cook University international students from countries such as Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, El Salvador and Honduras have completed a four-week tertiary introduction program.
The students, studying under the Federal Government’s Australia Awards Scholarships program, will be recognised in a special ceremony at JCU in Townsville tomorrow.
The students, who are completing the four-week Introductory Academic Program (IAP), represent the largest intake of AAS students in a single semester in JCU’s history. The IAP is a four-week compulsory program that covers settlement information and academic skills workshops.
There are 11 students celebrating the event in Cairns.
JCU International AAS Liaison Officer, Alex Salvador said the Australia Awards Scholarships were long-term development awards administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (formerly administered by AusAID).
“They provide opportunities for people from developing countries to undertake full time undergraduate or postgraduate study at participating Australian universities and institutions,” Mr Salvador said.
“The program aims to contribute to the long term development needs of Australia's partner countries. AAS also injects millions of dollars into the local economy.”
Mr Salvador said JCU’s first students from Guyana, Panama, El Salvador and Honduras were in this year’s intake, including the first AAS student to undertake a Bachelor of Veterinary Sciences at JCU.
Twelve scholarship recipients from PNG are part of a pilot program by AAS, who have developed a partnership with Divine Word University in Madang, PNG.
The courses range from Bachelor degrees, such as Bachelor of Business, to Masters degrees, such as Public Health, Business Administration and Science, to Higher Degree Research programs such as a Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy.
Background: The Australia Awards Scholarships program is what was previously referred to as the Australian Development Scholarships administered by the then AusAID – Australian Agency for International Development. The scholarships are administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade under its Australia Aid program.
JCU’s Introductory Academic Program Completion (IAP) for Australia Awards Scholarship students ceremony
Date: Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:30am.
Certificate presentation at 11:30, followed by a group photo at 12:30 and lunch at 12:45. Students and JCU’s Australia Awards Scholarship Officer will be available for interviews at 12:45pm.
Contact for interviews or photos: Alex Salvador, AAS Liaison Officer. tel: (07) 4781 5766.
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
Date issued: February 12, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture