You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News New dental clinic opens at JCU
New dental clinic opens at JCU
New dental clinic opens at JCU
First published January 29, 2014
Dental students will hone their skills while offering dental services for disadvantaged patients from this week when James Cook University’s new dental clinic officially opens in Townsville.
JCU Dental is a not-for-profit organisation and all monies received are reinvested in the training of the future dental workforce.
The 18-chair JCU Dental facility, housed in the newly opened Clinical Practice Building, will be previewed to the Townsville dental profession today (January 29), and be seeing patients from Thursday (January 30).
While treating patients, students will gain experience in both routine care and complex dental treatments.
Professor John Abbott, Director of Clinical Dentistry at JCU, said JCU Dental Townsville was a student placement facility that aimed to enhance students’ clinical skills.
“JCU Dental aims to increase the students’ skills through excellence in teaching and learning in preparation for a life-long career encompassing clinical, academic and research endeavours,” Professor Abbott said.
Professor Abbott said students would be exposed to new materials and techniques to ensure they had the skills and knowledge to perform dentistry at the highest level.
“This is a collaborative approach to patient care, where patients will be referred to and from other JCU allied health clinics, within the Clinical Practice Facility as appropriate,” he said.
Professor Abbott said JCU’s Bachelor of Dental Surgery had a particular focus on tropical and rural populations and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
“JCU Dental makes quality dentistry available to disadvantaged groups and addresses the high demand for dentists in rural and remote communities.”
Chair of JCU Dental, Clive Skarott AM, said he was “happy and excited” for the official opening of the 18-chair facility.
“We look forward to working hard to ensure the students utilise the chairs to the benefit of their future clinical skills,” Mr Skarott said.
Professor Abbott said students would be active in oral health education and promotion, based on a sound platform of research.
Students will also be encouraged to be actively involved in their profession through continuing education, research and professional engagement.
Students will be supervised by experienced clinicians as the treatment progresses and appointment times are extended to accommodate close supervision.
“We are grateful for the support of local professionals, including those who already have later-year students on placements in their practices,” he said.
“We also hope those who are interested in sharing their expertise with our future dentists will consider becoming involved as part-time clinical supervisors.
“This is an important day and it is part of our dental school's commitment to training dentists for regional, rural and remote communities.”
Professor Abbott said the focus of the gathering was to allow the local dental profession to preview the clinic facility, meet the students and demonstrate how the student’s placement was conducted and promote the benefits to the community.
“In addition, we hope to generate some enthusiasm from local dental practitioners to become involved in supervising students – there is always a need for good supervisors.”
Professor Abbott said patients with private health cover were recommended to be treated by their local practitioner.
For more information, visit: http://www.jcudental.com
Media opportunity prior to the launch:
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Time: 1.30pm (actual launch function being held 6pm to 7.30pm). Students will be participating in inductions throughout the day, and Professor Abbott will be available for interviews.
Venue: Level 2, Clinical Practice Building, James Cook University, 1 James Cook Drive, Townsville
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture