You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU students graduate in Cairns
JCU students graduate in Cairns
Internationally renowned Aboriginal musician, artist and entertainer David Dahwurr Hudson was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of James Cook University at a ceremony in Cairns today (March 26).
Mr Hudson joined 324 JCU students from four Faculties at the graduation ceremony at the Cairns Convention Centre.
Three PhDs were among the awards presented to students graduating from Science and Engineering, Medicine, Health and Molecular Sciences, Law, Business and the Creative Arts and Arts, Education and Social Sciences.
JCU Vice-Chancellor Professor Sandra Harding congratulated all the graduates on their achievement.
“Graduation is a time to celebrate students’ success. It’s also a time to thank those family and friends who have supported and encouraged them through their years of study,” Professor Harding said.
“These JCU graduates will undoubtedly go on to do amazing things in their careers, here and across the globe.
“As Australia’s university for the tropics we know that many of our graduates will provide much-needed expertise in the world’s tropical regions, including our own.”
Honorary Doctorate recipient Mr Hudson, from the Ewamin and Western Yalangi people, was the original co-owner of Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park. He played a key role in co-producing and choreographing Tjapukai’s performances to promote Indigenous culture through the tourism industry.
Presenting Mr Hudson to JCU Chancellor Lt Gen. John Grey, Professor Harding said James Cook University wished to recognise Mr Hudson’s exceptional contribution beyond the expectations of his field of endeavour, which had influenced the thinking and general well-being of humanity.
“The Honorary Doctorate is also being awarded to Mr Hudson in recognition of his outstanding service and distinguished public contribution to the northern Queensland community,” she said.
“He has been one of the key figures in Aboriginal cultural renaissance of the last decade and continues to raise his profile internationally as a remarkable exponent of Aboriginal culture.”
Professor Harding said Mr Hudson used his skills in language, music and art to help reconcile black and white communities’ cultural beliefs.
“Most recently, Mr Hudson was commissioned to assist with overall cultural integrity in an Indigenous precinct at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast, the first theme park to incorporate Aboriginal and Islander representation. This opened to the public in December 2013,” she said.
“In the past 12 months, Mr Hudson also took on the role of Project Manager for Talaroo Station on traditional Ewamian land, south west of Cairns, helping to establish an area for traditional owners to visit and hopefully creating a future enterprise on country.
“Mr Hudson is recognised as a ‘champion’ with the Queensland Tourism Industry Council which aims to encourage and support tourism employers to engage and manage Indigenous employees.
“He is regularly contacted by JCU researchers to assist with artwork for various papers they are producing and by JCU students to obtain cultural knowledge and assistance with interpretation of cross-cultural components in their study and assignments.”
Mr Hudson said he accepted the Honorary Doctorate on behalf of his people “who continually have to fight for recognition in this country of ours.
“Education, pride, self-determination, language and traditional lore are the perfect ingredients for a strong cultural identity,” he said.
“Otherwise, people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and cultural identity are like a tree without its roots.”
For more information, contact Liz Inglis on 0419 643 494 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
JCU Media Liaison: Caroline Kaurila, tel: (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
Issued: March 26, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses