You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Art and soul drives mature aged graduate
Art and soul drives mature aged graduate
Art and soul drives mature aged graduate
A mature-aged student will graduate at James Cook University next Thursday, after eight years completing a part-time PhD in creative arts.
Dr Barbara Cheshire also has undergraduate qualifications and a Masters in Creative Arts.
Born and raised in Atherton, Dr Cheshire completed her PhD through the Townsville campus while conducting her research at selected sites around North Queensland, at home in Townsville and in Atherton at her brother’s engineering workshop.
During this time she worked full time at the Barrier Reef Institute of TAFE’s Art Unit as teacher and coordinator of Painting, Drawing and Illustration/Design.
Dr Cheshire said she already had a full and busy life before she returned to study.
“I came to art studies as a mature student having done pharmacy dispensing, and then as company director of our private business, amongst having a family,” she said.
Dr Cheshire said she wanted to return to university study for the structure of the learning environment.
“When your life is already very busy but you believe in your suggested research project, to have the assistance, discipline and structure of an institution is extremely helpful,” she said.
“The Creative Arts team at JCU were tremendously helpful when I did my MCA. I felt the necessity to extend that past study from a different perspective and JCU seemed to be the best place to assist me in realising my aims.”
Dr Cheshire said her PhD focused on “Landscape as Experience: An Integration of Senses and Soul”.
“The study examined if a cohesive physical representation from a structured, visual art system, was capable of developing a Christian experiential visual language, or CEVL, that communicated a sensorial and transcendental experience of place,” she said.
“Commentary on the physical representation subsequently tested if a holistic integration of one human’s sensorial response to place, and an internal experience of Christian spirituality in that place, could be communicated to the viewer through an art exhibition.”
Dr Cheshire said that as an art educator, she also wanted to help students.
“I also wanted to establish if the process could assist students in artistic development as I discovered that the research had the potential for development as a teaching application,” she said.
Dr Cheshire said to finally graduate was an “amazing, fantastic and humble” experience.
“My family and many friends will be there on the day and all have been supportive through the good and challenging times,” she said.
“Although this research is never-ending, without the help of many people it would never have come to this stage. My partner Roger Thompson, brother, John Wilkinson and supervisors, in particular Professor Ryan Daniel, along with many friends were so generous with their time and skills, it makes you feel very humble indeed.”
Faculty of Law, Business and the Creative Arts 2014 Graduation
Date: Thursday, March 20, 2014
Location: Townsville Entertainment Centre, Sir Leslie Thiess Drive
Note for media: On each day, graduands need to be registered and seated by 3pm, so the best time for media to arrive is 2pm-2.30pm, or earlier. The graduands start arriving with their friends and families from about 1.30pm.
For photos or interviews, Dr Cheshire can be contacted on: 0412 632 261
JCU Media Liaison: Caroline Kaurila tel: (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
First published March 14, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture