You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Students accept the science challenge
Students accept the science challenge
Students accept the science challenge
Scientifically-minded local high school students will put their skills to the test this week in the annual North Queensland Science and Engineering Challenge.
The Challenge is run in conjunction with the University of Newcastle’s Faculty of Science and Information Technology, and Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment.
Hosted by James Cook University, it is designed to give the participating students a more realistic view of what a career in technology would involve.
It will test students with a range of fun science activities, such as Helter Shelter & Puff Puff Golf.
The event will involve nearly 400 students from Years 9 and 10 from 12 schools in Townsville and will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday (March 25 and 26) at Calvary Christian College in Mt Louisa.
Regional Chair of the North Queensland Challenge Coordinating Committee, JCU’s Vivian Doherty said all activities were designed to show students how science is both fun and practical.
“The Challenge is a fun event where students are able to experience the practical side of science and engineering,” Ms Doherty said.
“We need to inspire young people and show them that creativity is an integral part of any career in science and engineering.
“The Challenge will get underway at 9.30 am and conclude at about 2.30pm with the spectacular testing of the bridges.”
Dr Terry Burns, Director of the University of Newcastle’s Science and Engineering Challenge, said it was designed to provide a snapshot of a career in science to high school students.
“Scientists and engineers investigate and solve problems and, whilst theory is a vital part of this work, it is just as important to be innovative and creative,” he said.
Vivian Doherty, Faculty of Science & Engineering, JCU Regional Chair, North Queensland Challenge Organising Committee tel: (07) 4781 6807 or mobile 0407 288 592.
Photo opportunities can be arranged at Calvary Christian College, Church building, 569 Bayswater Rd, Mt Louisa. Please contact Vivian Doherty. The best times for photos will be between 2.00 and 2.30pm each day when the final activity is tested and the winning school announced.
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
Issued Monday, March 24, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture