You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News 65 Roses Breakfast BBQ
65 Roses Breakfast BBQ
65 Roses Breakfast BBQ
A team of second year JCU medical students will be breathing deeply for those who can’t by running in the 65 Roses Challenge for cystic fibrosis in Townsville next Sunday (May 25).
The students learnt about cystic fibrosis in their respiratory medicine classes and were inspired to take up the cause.
Mallory Van Wensveen, Renee Guesnon, Eliza Billington, Madeleine Grace Storey and Elicia Tyerman will run 65 km (relay style) on treadmills at Zoo Health and Fitness, to raise not only funds but much needed awareness of this debilitating condition.
Cystic Fibrosis, or CF, is a serious genetic condition affecting the respiratory, digestive and reproductive systems.
People with CF develop an abnormally large amount of excessively thick and sticky mucus within the lungs, airways and the digestive system. The mucus decreases the release and production of digestive enzymes from the pancreas and traps bacteria in the lungs resulting in recurrent infections which lead to irreversible damage.
Lung failure is the major cause of death for someone with CF.
CF is the most common recessive genetic condition, and affects 1 in 2500 Australian children born each year, and at present there is no cure.
There are 29 children affected by Cystic Fibrosis in the Townsville region.
To raise funds to support CF research, the JCU team will be holding a breakfast BBQ on Wednesday 21st May.
The team is also encouraging everyone to wear red and make a gold coin donation. All funds raised support Cystic Fibrosis Australia.
Staff, students and members of the community are urged to come along and support this great cause.
Date: Wednesday 21 st May 2014.
Time: 7.15am – 9.30am
Location: Outside Building 45 – Medical Lecture Theatre
JCU Media Liaison: Caroline Kaurila, tel: (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
Issued May 16, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture