You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Tourism boom for north in Asian century
Tourism Boom Awaits
Tourism boom for north in Asian century
Northern Queensland is set to benefit from a tourism boom as the Asian century unfolds, according to one of Australia’s leading economic forecasters.
Phil Ruthven, the founder and chairman of IBISWorld will deliver the keynote address at the Business Excellence Series in the Tropics (‘best’) lunch on the 15th of May in Townsville.
The twice-yearly event is organised by James Cook University’s School of Business.
Phil Ruthven’s address, North Queensland and The Asia Pacific: 2014 and Beyond, will discuss the north’s potential opportunities, and whether government and businesses are prepared.
“The Asia Pacific region now has a larger economy than the European Union or North America (NAFTA), and with its GDP growing twice as fast, is expected to be bigger than both those regions by 2025.”
Phil Ruthven believes the greatest growth opportunity for the north will come from tourism.
“Tourism and other services, such as health and education, will be Australia’s biggest exports by 2030, overtaking mining, which has already overtaken manufacturing and agriculture”.
He says northern Australia can benefit from that boom, if it’s prepared.
“Boeing has predicted the number of Chinese tourists going abroad in the year 2020 will be around 112 million people.”
“If Australia was able to capture just 10-per cent of that market, that would be 11 million tourists, which would virtually treble our current inbound tourist numbers.”
“But are our politicians and business people aware of our true potential?” he questions.
He argues there’s also a great opportunity for northern Australia in horticulture.
“The Asia Pacific region is growing twice as fast as the rest of world, but it has a food security problem.”
“60 per cent of Australia’s water is found in the top third of the Australian continent, but it has never been properly developed. Townsville is in a good position to capitalise on food security concerns as they continue this century”.
Phil Ruthven is one of Australia’s most respected strategists and forecasters on business, social and economic matters.
His company, IBISWorld is an international corporation providing online business information, forecasting and strategic services.
The ‘best’ lunch address will be held at the Grand Ballroom, Jupiters Townsville on the 15th of May. Registration for the event closes on the 7th of May.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Media contact: Richard Davis, JCU Head of Media and Communications 4781 4822 / 0413 451 475
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture