You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU study targets epilepsy
JCU study targets epilepsy
JCU study targets epilepsy
Adults with epilepsy and their partner or a relative are needed for a JCU study on the impact of the disorder on both them and their family.
The study is being conducted by Evangelina Ballini as part of a Master of Psychology (Clinical) degree and will focus on the emotional climate in a family home and the person with epilepsy’s perceived quality of life.
"It is important to have one family member as well as the person with epilepsy each complete a survey," Ms Ballini said.
"Family members need 20 minutes to answer questions about their feelings and how they relate to the person with epilepsy in their family.
"The survey for people with epilepsy is a little more involved as it asks about their perceived control over the disorder, sense of self-efficacy, self-rated emotional status and how they perceived their quality of life.
"This is National Psychology Week (November 9-15) and I believe this clinical research illustrates the services which psychologists can provide the community.
"We also provide support through the newly formed epilepsy support group which Epilepsy Queensland asked myself and Cairns Hospital nurse Neradeene Griffiths to start in Cairns.
"Considering the long waiting lists at the Cairns Hospital and the difficulty of managing the condition on a daily basis, there is a real need for support, not only for patients, but also their families.
"The first meeting is November 26, 4-6pm at FNQDocs, who have been most generous in providing a meeting room free of charge at their premises at 117 Anderson St, Manunda.
"The Cairns Epilepsy Support Group will give people touched by epilepsy the opportunity to talk to others with similar experiences and learn more about epilepsy.
"Epilepsy Queensland Client Services Coordinator Yvette McMurtrie will be at the first session to provide information and respond to questions."
For further information contact Evangelina Ballini on (07) 4036 3082 or email@example.com
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture