You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Triathlon with a tropical twist
Triathlon with a tropical twist
Triathlon with a tropical twist
Eight James Cook University Sport and Exercise Science students will head to the Solomon Islands this month to learn about a South Pacific-style triathlon where bikes are swapped for dugout canoes.
Sport and Exercise Science Senior Lecturer Glen Deakin said the students from the Cairns and Townsville campuses leave on November 29 for the two-week trip which includes a short stint at the Atoifi Hospital/College of Nursing before heading to the remote villages of Ambitona and Na’au on the island of Malaita.
"The students will learn how local villagers run a South Pacific-style triathlon and then conduct training sessions on swimming techniques, exercises for paddling and techniques for endurance development," he said.
"The students also will be instructing and showing the villagers skill and conditioning techniques to improve their soccer and volleyball performances, which are the two big sporting pastimes in the villages."
Dr Deakin said the idea for the trip came after the Science of Sport, Exercise and Physical Activity in the Tropics conference put on by JCU Sport and Exercise Science last November.
"Associate Professor Anthony Leicht and I attended a presentation by David MacLaren and Humpress Harrington from the Atoifi College of Nursing on 'Triathlon in the Tropics – South Pacific Style'," he said.
"The idea for the triathlon came about as a way to get local villagers interested in increasing their daily exercise levels and overall health.
"We wanted to help them in their quest to continue such a triathlon as well as help with providing other avenues for exercise and physical activity in dealing with local health related issues.
"Consequently, the trip will involve both education and activity sessions using the expertise of staff and students from JCU Sport and Exercise Science."
Dr David MacLaren from the College of Medicine and Dentistry, who has research projects in the Solomon Islands, has helped organise the trip.
"It will complement the ongoing program of public health research between JCU and Atoifi Hospital and strengthen the capacity of the Hospital to undertake research using techniques they will learn from JCU Sport and Exercise Science," he said.
Dr Deakin said Zoller Enterprises, a Cairns exporter of truck and earthmover tyres, was helping cover some of the students' travel costs and had donated hats and t-shirts for the students and villagers.
"Owner Rodney Pearce heard about the trip and was keen to help as his wife comes from the Zoller Group of Islands in the Autonomous Region of Bougainville just over the PNG - Solomon Islands border," he said.
"To assist with offsetting the remaining costs, the students have been busy conducting fundraising activities such as bake sales, raffles and banana smoothie stalls to raise funds."
Issued: November 24, 2014
Media enquiries: Linden Woodward, 07 4232 1007, firstname.lastname@example.org
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture