You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News New approach to farm safety
New approach to farm safety
New approach to farm safety
Researcher Anna Blackman. Photo by JCU Media
JCU researchers believe the heavy toll accidents take on Australian farmers could be reduced by an innovative approach to learning.
Dr Anna Blackman from JCU’s College of Business, Law & Governance said business coaching techniques could cut the death and injury rate of farmers.
Fifty-four people died on Australian farms last year, with quad bikes the biggest killers.
Accidents involving the vehicles killed 12 people including three children, with the deaths and injuries on farms estimated to cost Australia a minimum of half a billion dollars a year.
Dr Blackman said coaching was different from mentoring and better than a one-day course.
“Mentoring is focused on the technical side of things and course material often ends up in a desk drawer and is never looked at again,” she said.
Dr Blackman said coaching is ongoing and happens over a number of months, and seeks to get the person being coached to think about how they could drive change themselves.
“We’re after behavioural change. We want people to be more aware of the big picture and not just fixated on day-to-day tasks,” she said.
Dr Blackman said the coaching model had repeatedly proven successful in enhancing productivity, efficiency and communication in businesses it was applied to, and it was likely it could be used to improve farm safety too.
Dr Blackman said it was important to get the right fit for farmers, by selecting properly trained coaches who also have an understanding of the farming sector. “If you can get that, you can have sustained change and I think you will see injury rates dropping,” she said.
The team has studied the approach with a small trial program held in Bowen, and is pursuing grants to fund more research.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture