You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Lendlease to build JCU’s landmark ‘The Science Place’
Lendlease to build JCU’s landmark ‘The Science Place’
Pictured: General Manager of Lendlease’s Building business in Queensland and the NT, Tony Orazio and JCU’s Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources, Tricia Brand sign the agreement
JCU’s landmark ‘The Science Place’ project is one step closer, with the announcement of the construction company that will build the $85 million joint teaching and research facility on the University’s Townsville campus.
The Science Place is a JCU and federally-funded project that will transform the way tertiary education is delivered across north Queensland.
It’s the biggest project ever undertaken on the Townsville campus. The building will be longer than a football field, and if all the floors are laid out side by side, they would cover more than two football fields.
Lend Lease has won a tender process for the $64 million construction contract, and signed the agreement at JCU’s Townsville campus this morning.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources, Tricia Brand said she’s delighted Lendlease will build the innovative building.
“The Science Place will revolutionise the teaching of science in North Queensland.”
“The aim of the building is to promote the sciences and encourage interest in science-based careers in the wider community, as well as collocate the JCU science community on the Townsville Campus,” Ms Brand said.
General Manager of Lendlease’s Building business in Queensland and NT, Tony Orazio, said his team is excited to be working with one of the world's leading institutions that focuses on the tropics.
"We are really looking forward to beginning a collaborative relationship with JCU to deliver this important project for both the University and the wider community.
"Lendlease has a proud history in Townsville, having completed the Australian Institute of Marine Science Facility, defence projects, Willows Gardens and Riverside Gardens residential developments, the Jezzine Barracks redevelopment, as well as the Vantassel to Cluden Bruce Highway Upgrade.”
The Science Place will combine state-of-the-art laboratories and technology-enabled active learning spaces, with the capacity to link through to regional and remote, national and international locations.
The five level, 12,000 m2 facility will be built within the University’s Science and Engineering Precinct, and will accommodate projected growth in student and staff numbers in Chemistry, Biology and Biochemistry over the next decade.
The Science Place will include 3 new food outlets, a 175 seat collaborative lecture theatre, ‘end-of-ride’ bicycle facilities, and will be linked to the new ‘Veranda Walk’ that will provide a covered walkway circumnavigating the inner campus.
The CSIRO is also contributing to the project and will run education programs in the building to promote science to secondary school students.
Construction is expected to be completed by December 2016.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture