You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU offers places to new students
JCU offers places to new students
JCU offers places to new students
Along with Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science, the disciplines of Law, Business and Information Technology continue to be popular with students applying to study at James Cook University.
JCU will offer 2952 university places in the major Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) offer round today (Thursday, 15 January) at the Townsville, Cairns, Mackay, Mount Isa and Thursday Island campuses.
Acting Vice Chancellor, Professor Chris Cocklin said growth areas in Townsville included Business/Accounting (33%), Law (33%,), IT (25%) and Nursing (30%).
Other courses recording increases in applications were Science (19%), Medicine (12%) and Physiotherapy (17%).
There were decreases in the number of offers in Creative Arts, Early Childhood Education and Occupational Therapy.
“In Townsville we are offering fewer places in Creative Arts as well as Early Childhood Education, courses that have seen lower demand across the tertiary sector this year,” Professor Cocklin said.
Professor Cocklin said courses in health continued to attract far more applications than places available.
“JCU received 3040 applications for 150 places in Medicine, just over 460 applications for 72 places in Veterinary Science and more than 1300 applications for 70 places in Dentistry.”
Applicants are able to check their offers from 9.00am today (Thursday 15 January) on the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) website: www.qtac.edu.au. Offers will also be posted to successful applicants.
Applicants who receive an offer during this major offer round have until January 22 to accept their offer through QTAC and JCU.
Professor Cocklin reminded applicants that they still had further options after this major round of offers.
“We will be making further offers in most courses in February. After you consider your offer there is still time to make a late application or change your preferences. If you are confused about the choices open to you, call JCU and talk it through with one of our advisors.”
JCU’s total QTAC offers to date, including offer rounds late last year, are 3628. Compared with this time last year, the figure represents a slight decrease of 77 offers (2.1%).
The total number of applications to QTAC for all participating institutions is 3.1% lower than in 2014.
Offers at the Townsville campus have increased from 2738 to 2760 (0.8%), but offers at the Cairns campus decreased by 8.4%.
Please note QTAC figures do not include international students, post-graduate students, students who transfer within the university or others who are required to apply directly to JCU, so do not give an overall indication of total enrolments.
JCU advisors can be contacted on freecall 1800 246 446.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture