You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Cairns researcher’s Vivid Ideas
Cairns researcher’s Vivid Ideas
Cairns-based public health researcher Malcolm Forbes is off to Sydney this week (from June 1), having been selected to take part in the inaugural China Australia Millennial Project (CAMP).
CAMP has brought together 100 emerging leaders and innovators from China and Australia to form 20 think tanks, tackling challenges facing both countries.
Dr Forbes is part of a group working on health and wellness, with a focus on how to persuade individuals, health insurers and governments to prioritise preventive health measures.
“Our group includes a range of skills and experience, from genetics and finance to other medical doctors like me,” he said.
“Our task is to convince people to act on something that we already know: that prevention is better, and cheaper, than cure.
“We’re looking for practical solutions, and we’re supported by mentors with experience in business and innovation.”
The group members will meet face to face for the first time in Sydney, but have been meeting online to work on their project.
“It’s inspiring, to meet highly motivated people from another country and tackle a problem together,” Dr Forbes said.
“Although our health systems differ, I’ve been interested to find how much common ground there is, as well as the personal interests we share.”
Funded by the Australia China Council, CAMP aims to support young entrepreneurs from Australia and China to kick-start their own projects by pitching their plans to investors and government.
Each think tank will take part in a five-day innovation lab in Sydney before presenting their ideas to a panel as part of the Vivid Festival.
Having completed his medical degree at James Cook University, Dr Malcolm Forbes is now a postgraduate researcher at the Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention at JCU in Cairns.
His research project, supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council scholarship, is an investigation of the factors that contribute to some Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people successfully managing their chronic diseases.
“We already know what contributes to the progression of chronic disease. This study looks at what factors are associated with either improving health, or slowing the progress of disease,” he said.
Issued: June 1, 2015
Media enquiries: Linden Woodward, 07 4232 1007, email@example.com
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture