You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News New management for JCUVet
New management for JCUVet
New management for JCUVet
James Cook University has announced a new management arrangement for its Veterinary Hospital, with management services to be provided by Greencross Limited.
Founded in Townsville in 1994, Greencross is now Australia’s largest network of veterinary practices.
Professor Ian Wronski, Deputy Vice Chancellor of the Division of Tropical Health and Medicine at JCU, said the new arrangements would ensure the teaching hospital’s sustainability and expand the opportunities available to students.
“We will continue to operate under the name JCUVet, but we’ll have the business acumen of Greencross behind us,” he said.
Professor Wronski said the new arrangements promised significant benefits for veterinary students.
“Our students will have access to a wider range of placement opportunities and clinical cases across the Greencross network, which extends from Cairns to Adelaide,” he said. “They will also benefit from further training in the financial expertise that’s essential to running a vet practice.”
Greencross Limited Chief Operational Officer, Dr Ian Kadish said the arrangement would help JCU produce even more work-ready graduates.
“It’s exciting for JCU students to be able to access clinical cases across the Greencross network, as well as JCU’s vet hospital,” said Dr Kadish.
JCUVet, which provides Townsville’s only veterinary emergency and referral centre, will extend its operating hours and will have access to improved pathology services.
Professor Wronski said JCUVet would remain independent and would continue to seek and take referrals from its referring partners in the North Queensland veterinary community.
“Our relationship with the veterinary profession in our region is important to us,” he said. “Their support is important in providing our students with valuable experience in regional and tropical practices, and has helped us make JCUVet a high quality teaching hospital.
“We’ll continue to take specialty and emergency referrals from across North Queensland, and we’ll continue to work closely with local vets.”
The arrangement is effective from January 1st, 2015.
Greencross has more than 115 clinics across the country and was founded in Townsville in 1994 by former JCU student, Dr Glen Richards.
In 2011, Dr Richards received the JCU Chancellor’s Outstanding Alumnus Award.
For media interviews please contact:
Professor Ian Wronski 4781 5330 (office)
Richard Davis, JCU Head of Media and Communications
(07) 4781 4822 / 0413 451 475
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture