You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Students learn ‘on the job’ at Glencore
Students learn ‘on the job’ at Glencore
James Cook University IT students are gaining hands-on work experience at one of Australia’s largest mining companies.
Pictured above: Adrian Lapico (right), JCU student and Glencore contractor is assisted by Thomas Pennington, Acting Supervisor Service Delivery
The new initiative is a partnership between JCU’s Information Technology Academy (IT@JCU) and Glencore’s Copper and Zinc operations based in Queensland and the Northern Territory.
The project, which started at the end of 2015, allows undergraduate IT students to gain real world experience in their chosen field by working for Glencore’s Information Systems and Technology Service Desk around their study commitments.
It is designed to give IT students, who are based at Glencore’s Copper Refinery in Townsville refinery, the opportunity to get a head start on their careers.
JCU’s College of Business, Law and Governance, where IT@JCU is housed, and Glencore will work together across all aspects of the partnership, including the initial recruitment through to managing student employment conditions.
Chrystie Watson, Manager of College Operations for the College of Business, Law and Governance, said the College actively works with industry stakeholders to ensure the student university experience at JCU is industry relevant.
“The partnership with Glencore is an example of industry and university combining their strengths to ensure students are introduced to the working environments of their chosen career,” she said.
The initiative is underway, with 10 students who started working with Glencore in March.
Student Jeffrey Pattison said the placement is enabling him to successfully transition into the IT industry while still studying.
“Being able to put what you've learnt at university to use helps solidify the knowledge in your mind, and lets you see that the lessons being taught are relevant,” he said.
“The sheer size of Glencore’s IT network means I have already been exposed to more programs and features than I could have just about anywhere else in Townsville. Being able to stay on with Glencore after study would be amazing, but this opportunity to gain industry experience is enough on its own.”
Associate Professor Trina Myers, Head of the JCU Information Technology Academy said the initiative helps the students’ transition into employment and future employers benefit from having graduate applicants with the ability to apply their knowledge to the workplace.
Trevor Gray, General Manager Central Services for Glencore’s north Queensland operations said the partnership has been designed to effectively support a specific skill requirement within the business, while also ensuring the best possible outcome for the students involved.
“It presents a valuable opportunity to identify and support the development of future skilled IT professionals, with potential for future employment at our operations through our Glencore Graduate Program,” he said.
Ms Watson said partnerships like this, allowing students to work in their chosen field while still prioritising their study commitments, are an invaluable exercise in enriching the learning experience, providing students with a competitive edge when they officially enter the fulltime workforce.
“JCU is pleased to be working with Glencore on this initiative and is excited to explore further opportunities to leverage study-work partnerships across other disciplines in the future,” she said.
- JCU: Associate Professor Trina Myers (07) 4781 6908 or 0412 955 977
- Glencore: (and for student contact details) Michelle Pearce, Community Relations Advisor, tel: (07) 4744 2912 or 0407 766 937
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture