Battle of the Icons 2016: JCU vs. Army
JCU and the Army’s Townsville-based 3rd Brigade are set to compete against each another in the annual "Battle of the Icons" sporting events.
It’s sure to be another fierce competition between two of Townsville’s powerhouse organisations, with honour and bragging rights at stake.
The events culminate with the prestigious Chancellor’s and Commander's cups Rugby Union matches. The games are considered two of the highest quality rugby matches played in North Queensland each year.
- WHAT: JCU vs. Army Men's & Women's Rugby Union
- WHERE: JCU Townsville, Joe Baker Field
- WHEN: 5pm-9pm, Sun 18th Sept.
- WHO: JCU Chancellor, Bill Tweddell and the Commander 3rd Brigade, Brigadier Christopher Field will present the Chancellor’s Cup and the Commander’s Cup to the winning teams, respectively.
From the 15th - 18th September, JCU and Army will also go head to head in Women’s Netball, Men’s Basketball, Football and AFL.
Pride is strong in both groups, and players put everything on the line to bring home this year’s trophies. 2016 will see some very talented athletes competing in the games, with some state and national-level athletes taking part across the four days.
- Men's Basketball: RSL stadium 4pm Thurs 15 Sept
- Women's Netball: RSL stadium 3pm Thurs 15 Sept
- Men's & Women's Football: Wulguru football fields 2:30pm-6pm Fri 16 Sep
- Men's & Women's AFL: Hermit Park Tigers home ground 1pm and 3pm Fri 16 Sept, respectively.
- Men's & Women's Rugby Union: JCU Joe Baker Field 5pm-9pm Sun 18 Sept.
The concept of the Chancellor’s and Commander's Cup Rugby matches arose with the two teams originally meeting as the curtain raiser to the British Lions versus the Queensland Presidents XV in 2001, with a return match played in 2002 at the University. In 2004 a women's match was introduced as the Commander's Cup.
The Battle of the Icon's competition began in 2005 with a Uni vs. Army Men's Basketball match played as the curtain raiser to a WNBL tournament. Women's Netball was contested for the first time in 2010 and has been closely contested every year since then. Soccer and AFL were added to the Battle of the Icons competition last year.
Background 2015 matches:
In 2015, the well-practised JCU teams took out the men’s basketball and women’s netball. The football codes were dominated by the Army, which convincingly won both men’s and women’s soccer and AFL.
The last and most fiercely fought events were the Chancellor and Commander’s cups rugby union matches. Both teams were desperate to bring home the cup. The games ended in spectacular style with the JCU side taking out the women’s game in an absolute thrashing (24-5) and the Army team proving far too strong and experienced for the JCU men, with a final score of 27-5.
Any interviews with players, coaches and support staff can be organised upon request.
If you require any photos or further information about the event please contact Teisha Condie at JCU Sport.
4781 4537 / 0411 317 224