You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News First JCU alumnus appointed as judge
First JCU alumnus appointed as judge
James Cook University has warmly congratulated alumnus Gregory Lynham who has been appointed as a judge of the District Court of Queensland, to be based in Townsville.
He is the first JCU law graduate to be appointed as a judge.
Queensland Attorney-General, the Honourable Yvette D'Ath, announced the appointment today (April 21st).
Mr Lynham was born and raised in Townsville and graduated from JCU with a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) in 1995.
Mr Lynham said he owed much of his success to his studies at JCU.
“Had I not been able to undertake my law degree at JCU then I would not have not studied law,” he said.
“Any success I have achieved in my career as a barrister and now a judge would not have been possible but for the quality of the law degree I obtained from JCU and the opportunities it opened up for me after graduation.”
JCU Vice Chancellor Professor Sandra Harding congratulated Mr Lynham on the prestigious appointment.
“We are so proud of Greg - JCU's first alumnus to be appointed to the bench,” Professor Harding said.
“It is a wonderful achievement and no doubt a fitting tribute his remarkable legal career to date.
“We are delighted that another of our stellar JCU graduates will remain in North Queensland to continue his work in his area of expertise from such an important position.”
Mr Lynham has practiced as a barrister in Townsville for the past 20 years. He is also a Judge Advocate and Defence Force Magistrate in the Australian Defence Force, presiding over court martials.
The Dean of JCU’s College of Business, Law and Governance, Professor David Low congratulated Mr Lynham and said it was another feather in the cap for JCU’s Law program.
“It’s fantastic that another JCU alumnus is going to serve the community and contribute to civil society in North Queensland, in much the same way as the JCU Law Society does,” he said.
“There are many JCU Law alumni achieving great things here in the North and across Australia.”
JCU Media Liaison, Caroline Kaurila tel: (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture