A defining feature of JCU is its tropical location and its research excellence in disciplines of particular relevance to the tropics.
As a comprehensive university in the tropics, JCU is well placed to foster cross-disciplinary collaborations to meet these challenges.
Research news from JCU
- Greater protection needed for Great Barrier Reef’s magnificent table corals
Scientists at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies at James Cook University say more needs to be done to protect vulnerable table corals on the Great Barrier Reef.
- Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbott opens new JCU Singapore campus
The Prime Minister, Tony Abbott has officially opened James Cook University’s new Singapore campus.
- Huge rainforest experiment underway
An innovative, multi-million dollar James Cook University drought experiment that covers a hectare of rainforest is underway.
- Electric car device to drive profits
A James Cook University researcher is working on a new device that will let electric car owners sell extra current from their vehicle’s battery to the power network.
- Sediment makes it harder for baby Nemo to breathe easy
Researchers from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies at James Cook University have discovered that suspended sediment damages fish gills and can increase the rate of disease in fish.