You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Tell us a little bit about yourself
Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management - Master of Business Administration
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Veterinary Science
Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management - Master of Business Administration
This joint master’s degree gives you the business management skills essential to becoming a leader in the hospitality and tourism sector. Advance your career and become a management-level professional with specialised knowledge of business operations and administration.
You will learn how to make decisions using critical thinking and analyse high-level issues relevant to your chosen industry. Sustainability, innovation and effective leadership are strong themes throughout this course.
Part time available
Learn from teachers who are leaders within their fields. With the knowledge you gain throughout this degree, you will conduct a research project to analyse a real-world issue. The combination of tourism, hospitality, management, and business can enhance your employability within the international job market.
You could find employment in:
- The hotel industry working as a Duty Manager, or in the sales and marketing or human resources teams
- The tourism industry working in government departments, or private companies such as airports
This joint degree provides you with the skills needed to become a professional at manager level.
Upon graduation, you will:
- Have specialist skills within the business environment
- Understand management strategies that shape tourist behaviours
- Recognise the principles of change management
- Analyse tourism systems to enhance sustainability
Find out more about the subjects you will study using the course handbook.
If you are an international student studying at the Brisbane campus, you are able to study either full or part time. This course is only available full time if you are studying at the Singapore campus.
Depending on what subjects you have studied, if you exit this degree before completion, you may be eligible to graduate with a Graduate Certificate or Diploma of International Hospitality and Management, or Business Administration.
Consult the admission requirements section in the Handbook for prerequisites and pathways into this course.
Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management – Master of Business Administration
Masters Degree (Coursework) (AQF Level 9)
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
Completion of an AQF level 7 bachelor degree in a business or tourism related discipline from this or another University; or
Other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the Division of Tropical Environments and Societies as equivalent to the above.
*Business disciplines: Accounting and Finance, Marketing, Management, Commerce, HRM, Economics, Tourism and Hospitality, or other disciplines where students will have completed study relating to organizational behaviour, business, strategy, marketing, economics, communication and people management.
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy or have successfully completed an AQF 8 qualification from James Cook University within the previous two (2) years.
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
48 credit points as per course structure
Course learning outcomes
JCU graduates are committed to lifelong learning, intellectual development, and to the display of exemplary personal, professional and ethical standards. They have a sense of their place in the tropics and are charged with professional, community, and environmental responsibility. JCU graduates appreciate the need to embrace and be acquainted with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples of Australia. They are committed to reconciliation, diversity and sustainability. They exhibit a willingness to lead and to contribute to the intellectual, environmental, cultural, economic and social challenges of regional, national, and international communities of the tropics.
On successful completion of the Master of Business Administration component of the joint degree, JCU graduates will be able to:
On successful completion of the Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management component of the degree, JCU graduates will be able to:
LB5203:03 Sustainable Enterprise
LB5228:03 The Changing Business Environment
LB5230:03 Managing Strategic Resources and Operations
LB5231:03 Corporate Responsibility and Governance
LB5232:03 Marketing, Customer Engagement, Social Media and Marketing
LB5233:03 Strategic and Responsible Innovation Management
LB5234:03 Leading and Managing Organisational Change
LB5235:03 Applied Research Project
TO5002:03 Introduction to Tourism and the Environment
TO5101:03 Tourism Systems Analysis
TO5102:03 Tourism and Hospitality Operations Management
TO5103:03 Global Destination Competitiveness
TO5104:03 Tourist Management Strategies
TO5203:03 Hospitality and Gastronomy: Social, Private and Commercial
Select 3 credit points of LB52xx subjects
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
Not offered in 2019
Expected time to complete
2 years full-time or equivalent part-time
Maximum time to complete
Maximum leave of absence
Course progression requisites
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
Special assessment requirements
Professional accreditation requirements
Maximum allowed Pass Conceded (PC) grade
Supplementary exam for final subject
A student who has failed a single subject towards the award in their final teaching period and who gained 40% or more of the marks for that subject, may be granted a supplementary examination in that subject. However if that subject is required for accreditation, then the criteria specified by that accreditation will apply.
Students may apply for exemption for previous tertiary study where appropriate in accordance with the Credit and Articulation policy and associated procedures.
24 credit points and not more than 12 credit points of subjects specified in the course structure, for either component of the joint degree.
Advanced standing will be granted only for studies completed in the 4 years prior to the commencement of this course.
Advanced standing gained for any subject shall be cancelled 12 years after the date of the examination upon which the advanced standing is based if, by then, the student has not completed the course of study prescribed for the degree.
Advanced standing will not be granted for work experience or undergraduate studies.
MASTER OF INTERNATIONAL TOURISM AND HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT – MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
Inclusion of majors on testamur
Not applicable - this course does not have majors
Exit with lesser award
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have completed the appropriate subjects, may be eligible for one or more of the following awards:
This website is intended as general guide. Prospective students should contact the university to confirm admission requirements and the availability of courses. James Cook University reserves the right to alter any course or admission requirement without prior notice.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture