You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
JCU Smoke-free Campus Policy
The purpose of this policy is to demonstrate JCU’s commitment to providing a safe, supportive and healthy environment, as is reasonably practicable through implementing a smoke-free environment.
This policy applies to all members of JCU Council, Staff, Students, Affiliates, Visitors and Contractors, and to all JCU premises located in Australia.
Affiliate is a person (other than a Staff member or Student) who is affiliated with JCU by letter of appointment or invitation to work, research or study at the University for a particular activity and for a prescribed timeframe and who is bound to comply with the University’s policies during that period.
JCU Premises: Any property owned by, under the control of or managed by, the University or a subsidiary or affiliate of the University. This includes all Australian Campuses, Controlled Entities, buildings, research facilities, residential facilities, sporting arenas, properties, vehicles and boats.
Smoking is the inhalation and exhalation of the smoke of burning tobacco, herbs or drugs. It includes the use of cigarettes and other tobacco related products (herbal cigarettes and electronic cigarettes), or other devices used for similar purpose.
Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes, e-cigars, vapour pens or a personal vaporiser) are any device used for the inhalation of the vapour.
Prohibition on Smoking
Smoking and the use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited on all JCU premises, including vehicles and boats.
Temporary exception is provided to the on-campus residential colleges in Townsville until 31/12/18. Designated smoking sites on the residential accommodation properties have been identified and are for use by resident students only, up until 31/12/2018.
Exemption is provided to the JCU Unibar based on the Townsville Campus. This exemption forms part of its commercial licence of operation, and subsequent eligibility to provide a Designated Outdoor Smoking Area (DOSA) under the Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Act 1998. The DOSA must comply with the requirements under the Tobacco Act, including the placement of signage stating that consumption of food in this area is not permitted. The DOSA is only able to be used while the Unibar is open and in operation. The DOSA is not able to be used when the Unibar is closed.
University employees are entitled to take breaks from work in accordance with relevant University agreements including the JCU Enterprise Agreement and the Optional Working Hours System.
Where an individual is found on JCU premises to be smoking, they will be asked to cease smoking, and will be advised of the requirement to comply with this policy.
Staff and members of the University community who repeatedly breach this policy may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with the JCU Staff Code of Conduct and related policies.
Students who repeatedly breach this policy may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with the JCU Student Code of Conduct and related policies.
Contractors who repeatedly breach this policy may be asked to leave the University premises and may be subject to a breach of contract.
Visitors who repeatedly breach this policy after being warned not to smoke, may be asked to leave University premises by campus security.
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Health Safety and Environment Committee
Date for next Major Review (in accordance with the Policy Handbook):
Approval date - the date the relevant approval authority approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the policy was published in the Policy Library and is the date the policy takes effect
Policy amended to prohibit smoking on JCU Australian campuses from 1/7/2018. Smoking will be prohibited on on-campus residential colleges from 1/1/2019.
Health, Safety and Environment Office
Administration details amended: text added to date for next review column to include Major review info; and text in brackets added to 15-01 Details column below.
Quality, Standards and Policy Unit
Minor amendment – Policy Sponsor and Approval Authority amended to reflect approved Policy Framework. (This minor amendment does not constitute a Major Review).
Quality, Standards and Policy Unit
There are no related procedures.
There are no other related documents.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture