intent of this policy is to provide an overview of relocation assistance that
may be offered as an incentive for new and existing staff members required to
relocate their home to take up a position at James Cook University (JCU)
This policy applies to new
or existing staff members of JCU Australia. It does not apply to casual staff
and short-term academic visitors or adjuncts.
Child – a
child who is less than 16 years of age who is normally resident with the staff
member or, if over the age of 16 years is a full-time student at a secondary
Spouse - another person who,
although may not be married to the person, lives with the staff member on a
bona fide domestic basis.
JCU will determine what relocation assistance, if any, will be provided.
Relocation assistance options outlined in the policy and procedure are not entitlements.
- Any approval for the provision of relocation assistance must be in writing, detailing the extent of any relocation assistance approved.
- Any approval for relocation assistance should be in advance of any expense being incurred.
- Any relocation assistance approved must be finalised within six months of the appointee/staff member taking up duty at JCU, unless removal is approved to be delayed for up to 12 months where an international relocation occurs.
- Any relocation not undertaken/finalised within 6 months of the appointee/staff member taking up duty at JCU will be void, unless removal is approved to be delayed for up to 12 months where an international relocation occurs.
- Requests for payment of relocations assistance will not normally be considered unless they are received within six months of the staff member taking up their appointment in the new location.
- Consideration of taxation obligations (e.g. FBT) must be considered prior to approval of any relocation assistance.
- On termination of employment within three years of commencement, or during the term of a fixed-term appointment, the staff member may have an obligation to repay a proportion of the relocation assistance.
- On termination of employment, JCU may have a legislative obligation to pay repatriation expenses, dependent on Visa sponsorship arrangements.
Related policy instruments
Related policy instruments include but are
not limited to the following documents. Further related instruments can be
found at the JCU Human Resources website.
- Relocation Assistance Procedure
- JCU Enterprise Agreement 2013 – 2016.
- Financial Delegations Register
- Human Resources Delegations Policy
Payment Request Form
Related documents and legislation
Deputy Vice-Chancellor Services and
for next review
policy review should be scheduled 3 years from the approval date]
- Renaming from Relocations and Removals Policy to Relocation Assistance Policy
- Removal of obsolete definitions.
- Clarity of policy principles in one location at policy level
- Change from 12 months to 6 months for claiming against relocation assistance approval.
- Shift of relocation assistance options to the Procedure.
Refer to HR
Committee minutes 4/15 Item 8 for details.
relocation, removal, relocation