You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Relocation Assistance Policy
The intent of this policy is to provide an overview of relocation assistance that may be offered as an incentive for new and existing staff members required to relocate their home to take up a position at James Cook University (JCU) Australia.
This policy applies to new or existing staff members of JCU Australia. It does not apply to casual staff and short-term academic visitors or adjuncts.
Dependent Child – a child who is less than 16 years of age who is normally resident with the staff member or, if over the age of 16 years is a full-time student at a secondary school.
Spouse - another person who, although may not be married to the person, lives with the staff member on a bona fide domestic basis.
JCU will determine what relocation assistance, if any, will be provided.
Relocation assistance options outlined in the policy and procedure are not entitlements.
- Any approval for the provision of relocation assistance must be in writing, detailing the extent of any relocation assistance approved.
- Any approval for relocation assistance should be in advance of any expense being incurred.
- Any relocation assistance approved must be finalised within six months of the appointee/staff member taking up duty at JCU, unless removal is approved to be delayed for up to 12 months where an international relocation occurs.
- Any relocation not undertaken/finalised within 6 months of the appointee/staff member taking up duty at JCU will be void, unless removal is approved to be delayed for up to 12 months where an international relocation occurs.
- Requests for payment of relocations assistance will not normally be considered unless they are received within six months of the staff member taking up their appointment in the new location.
- Consideration of taxation obligations (e.g. FBT) must be considered prior to approval of any relocation assistance.
- On termination of employment within three years of commencement, or during the term of a fixed-term appointment, the staff member may have an obligation to repay a proportion of the relocation assistance.
- On termination of employment, JCU may have a legislative obligation to pay repatriation expenses, dependent on Visa sponsorship arrangements.
Related policy instruments
Related policy instruments include but are not limited to the following documents. Further related instruments can be found at the JCU Human Resources website.
- Relocation Assistance Procedure
- JCU Enterprise Agreement 2016.
- Financial Delegations Register
- Human Resources Delegations Policy
Related documents and legislation
Deputy Vice-Chancellor Services and Resources
Human Resources Committee
Date for next review
|18-1||25/05/2018||Administrative amendment to update reference to JCU Enterprise Agreement 2016.||Quality, Standards and Policy Officer|
Refer to HR Committee minutes 4/15 Item 8 for details.
Deputy Director, Human Resources
relocation, removal, relocation assistance
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture