You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Student Results Policy
This policy articulates the principles of management of student academic results.
- The University will have a clear set of student result identifiers which will be used across all campuses and modes of delivery.
- Student results will be determined through both individual academic scrutiny and oversight by a College Assessment Committee to ensure fair and equitable results.
- Subject results are provided to students in a timely manner to assist students in determining course progression and study plans.
This policy only applies to:
- students studying undergraduate and postgraduate coursework subjects; and
- staff administering undergraduate and postgraduate coursework subjects.
Definitions of terms used in this policy are as per the Policy Glossary.
- For the purposes of this policy, “Certify” refers to endorsement and “Ratify” refers to the expression of approval as specified in the Academic and Student Delegations Register
- Results Publication Date is the date that ratified subject results are made available to students.
- Unless specifically excluded, “Dean”, “Dean of College” and “College Dean” refer to the Dean or equivalent delegated authority for the relevant Academic Unit and their delegate(s).
- Unless specifically excluded, “DVC” and “Deputy Vice-Chancellor” refer to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the relevant Division.
1. Finalisation and Publication of Student Results
1.1 Each Study Period shall have a designated Results Publication Date which is approved by Academic Board for each academic year. The Results Publication Date shall be no more than 28 calendar days from the designated End Date for the study period. The results for subjects taught in the Study Period shall be released on the Results Publication Date for that Study Period.
1.2 It is the responsibility of College Deans to ensure that subject results are certified, and the responsibility of the Director, Academic Quality and Strategy to ensure that subject results are ratified, by the designated ratification date (determined by the Director, Student Services).
1.3 It is the responsibility of Subject Coordinators to ensure that all staff marking assessable items in the subject are informed of deadlines for the completion of marking and submission of results.
1.4 The Assessment Committee must ensure that the awarding of the final subject result in a chained subject sequence considers the full chain of subjects. The final chained subject result is considered to be the final subject result for each subject within the chained sequence.
1.5 Student results can only be changed in accordance with the Finalisation and Publication of Student Results Procedure.
2. Standard System of Reporting Results
2.1 Final Results for Coursework Subjects
The following codes will be used when awarding final results for all coursework subjects:
Pass with High Distinction
Pass with Distinction
Pass with Credit
Pass Conceded (may not be used as a prerequisite without permission of the relevant College Dean)
Satisfactory (a passing level in an ungraded subject)
Unsatisfactory (failed to reach a passing level in an ungraded subject)
Withdrawn (withdrew before the prescribed last date for withdrawal without academic penalty) (Administrative process only)
Fail (withdrew after the prescribed last date for withdrawal without academic penalty)
Fail (did not sit for examination(s), or did not complete assessment requirements worth at least 80% of the total possible marks, or deferred examination not granted.)
Pass after sitting a supplementary examination or supplementary assessment
Pass Conceded after sitting a supplementary examination or supplementary assessment (may not be used as a prerequisite without permission of the College Dean)
Satisfactory after sitting a supplementary examination or supplementary assessment (a passing level in an ungraded subject)
2.1.1 The letter ‘S’ precedes any passing result awarded after sitting a supplementary examination or supplementary assessment.
2.1.2 An ‘X’ shall not be awarded to a student who completes assessment requirements worth 80% or more of the total marks for the subject, except as provided for by 2.1.3. Such students should be awarded either a passing result or an ‘N’, as appropriate, as a final result.
2.1.3 Students who are awarded a fail for a subject as a result of being proved guilty of academic misconduct will be awarded an ‘X’.
2.2 Interim Results For Coursework Subjects
The following codes will be used when awarding interim results for coursework subjects, pending the award of a final result:
Result Withheld (student assessment requirements are outstanding)
Assessment Incomplete (College assessment process is incomplete)
Fail (supplementary examination granted)
Fail (supplementary assessment granted)
Deferred examination granted
Interim result for a subject which forms part of a subject chain
*Transitional arrangements will apply for these interim results. For all results approved from 1/1/2018 the above result codes will be used. For supplementary results approved prior to 1/1/2018, the interim result code of NS will be used.
2.3 Honours Results
The following honours classifications will be used when awarding final results for honours degrees:
Class II division A
Class II division B
3. Appeal of Final Subject Result
3.1 Final subject results can only be appealed in accordance with the Student Appeals Policy.
4. Distribution of Results
4.1 The Academic Board will monitor the allocation of results across disciplines as per the Distribution of Results Procedure.
Related policy instruments
Related documents and legislation
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Students
Date for next Major Review
NOTE: A minor amendment will not result in a change of the next major review date.
Approval date - the date the approval authority approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the policy was published in the Policy Library and is the date the policy takes effect
|18-2||01/11/2018||05/12/2018||Minor amendment to reflect establishment of Student Appeals Policy||Chair of Academic Board|
|18-1||04/10/2018||04/10/2018||Administrative amendment to correct review date and align with current organisational structure.||Quality, Standards and Policy Officer|
Established as part of review of policies and procedures associated with grades and results. Refer to Academic Board 2 May 2017 minutes (2/17)
Manager, Student Finance and Examinations
|Contact person:||Manager, Student Finance and Examinations|
undergraduate, coursework, results, academic results, subject results
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture