You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Australian/NZ Students Selection process
Our selection process
We will assess your application for the following:
- Eligibility – based on the University’s admission rules and course admission requirements, for example: course prerequisites and English language proficiency requirements.
- Merit – based on OP/ATAR, selection rank, Grade Point Average (GPA) and performance in special selection criteria, such as interviews and written applications.
JCU’s Diploma of Higher Education1 is an “open access” course, which means that all applicants are eligible to receive an offer subject to English language proficiency requirements and JCU’s admission rules.
1 except for the Business stream
How we select
JCU’s Bachelor degree courses have a minimum rank threshold (sometimes called a “cut-off”) that all applicants must meet in order to be considered for an offer, which is in addition to any admission requirements such as pre-requisites. For high demand courses, simply meeting this threshold will not guarantee an offer as places are limited and there may also be additional selection criteria used.
What we consider
If you are a current Year 12 student you will be considered on your OP/ATAR including any bonus ranks that you are eligible for. If you have undertaken study at certificate III level or higher then this will also be considered.
All other applicants will be considered on the basis of their selection rank will is calculated from secondary and post-secondary study (including bridging, certificate and tertiary level); paid employment experience; as well as any bonus ranks that you may be eligible for.
Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science and Physiotherapy
Current Year 12 applicants or those with a single gap year or less than one semester of full time equivalent study will be considered on the basis of their OP/ATAR and performance in special selection criteria, such as interview and written application.
All other applicants are considered on the basis of tertiary study, specifically the Grade Point Average (GPA) from their most recent course.
How we select
Our postgraduate degrees have Admissions Requirements which must be met by all applicants.
To view the Admission Requirements: find your course at Courses and Degrees and then refer to the Admissions Requirements section under the Handbook heading.
What we consider
Applicants will generally be considered for an offer on the basis of their undergraduate degree, however some courses also have additional selection criteria such as an interview, referee report or a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement.
Regional Preference Scheme
This scheme assists residents of the University’s catchment area to gain entry to JCU through an automatic adjustment of an applicant’s OP by one band or selection rank by two ranks.
The Regional Preference Scheme is open to domestic applicants who reside in the University’s catchment area (postcodes 4737 through to 4895). The scheme cannot be used for entry to postgraduate degrees, graduate entry programs and courses with special application requirements.
Applicants do not apply for this scheme. The bonus ranks are automatically applied at the time of application.
JCU does not have a Year 12 subject scheme or any other adjustment factors.
Special consideration for adverse circumstances
JCU participates in QTAC’s Educational Access Scheme (EAS) which recognises applicants who have been educationally disadvantaged due to: financial hardship, home environment and responsibilities, English language difficulty, personal illness and disability or educational disruption.
This scheme is open to domestic applicants who apply through QTAC, but does not apply to courses with special application requirements.
Applicants apply for this scheme through QTAC.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses