Apply for Credit for Previous Study

Applying for credit for previous study or work experience can help you complete your JCU degree in a shorter timeframe and save on overall course fees.

Receiving credit for previous study can prevent the unnecessary duplication of study and can save time and expense.

If you have studied at another university, TAFE, or a private tertiary education provider in Australia or overseas, you may be able to transfer credit to your current degree.

If you have completed subjects as part of a JCU degree, but have decided the course is not for you, you can apply to transfer to another course at JCU, provided you meet the course requirements. You may be able to transfer some or all of the subjects over to your new course.

Credit Calculator

Articulation agreements

An articulation agreement is an agreement that JCU has with another educational provider. Use our credit calculator to view current articulation agreements.

Recognition of Prior Learning

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) refers to the skills and knowledge you've gained through work and life experiences. We can assess your RPL and determine if you are eligible for credit.

How to apply for credit

Apply for Credit Form

1. Check your eligibility

Domestic students

Use our credit calculator to find out what credit you may be able to transfer from previous study (at another institution or another JCU course) to your current course. If you find that the credit calculator is unable to assist you, please apply for credit as outlined further below.

For past undergraduate qualifications to be considered, the degree usually has to have been completed within the past 10 years. This can, however, vary by Award. For more information, refer to the Advanced Standing information provided in our Course Handbook for the course(s) you are interested in. Alternatively, contact the JCU Student Centre.

International students

Future international students who are not yet enrolled at JCU should apply to enrol in a degree. Eligibility to apply for credit will be assessed during the application process.

2. Organise your documentation

To help JCU determine what credit you might be entitled to, please provide the following documentation in addition to your Application for Credit.

Credit for previous study

If transferring credit from another institution, you must provide:

  • Scanned original copies of academic transcripts or eQuals
  • Titles of subjects studied, results awarded, and the subject outlines or syllabi from the year studied
  • Students that are transferring credit within James Cook University are not required to provide subject outlines or an academic transcript
  • Students must demonstrate that they have achieved the learning outcomes by aligning subjects on their credit application.


Must provide hard-copy original transcripts and degree testamurs from previous studies or certified documents.

Recognition of Prior Learning

Please provide the following to support your application for Recognition of Prior Learning:

  • Certificates of competency or attendance from industry recognised courses.
  • Observation of workplace skills and practice by a qualified observer designated by JCU.
  • Completion of some or all of the assessment requirements (or equivalent) as may be specified by the coordinator of the subject for which credit is sought.
  • Fully documented portfolio of work completed while practising in industry. The authenticity of all work must be certified in writing by a supervisor or by the person(s) responsible for commissioning the work.
  • A comprehensive curriculum vitae (CV) accompanied by a Statutory Declaration stating that the information contained in the CV is a true and accurate record of your experience.

Bachelor of Social Work / Master of Social Work

Please submit a completed Recognition of Prior Learning – WS3505/WS5303 Field Education 1 (DOCX, 296 KB) with your application.

Bachelor of Education

Please submit a completed Recognition of Professional Experience Completed Within Pre-Service Teacher Education Programs Application Form (PDF, 48 KB) with your application.

Articulation agreements

Use our credit calculator to find what articulation agreements we have available.

To apply for credit, you will need to provide JCU a copy of your academic transcript so the agreed credit can be applied to your course.

3. Submit your application

Once you have submitted your application to start studying at JCU you can then apply for credit.

It is very important that you lodge your application for credit as soon as possible.

Complete the Application for Credit and attach the appropriate supporting documents.

4. Application assessment

Your application for credit will be assessed and you will receive an outcome within 3 weeks.

If you have already applied and been accepted into your JCU course, we will notify you by email when your credit transfer has been processed.

Further information

For further information and support, please contact the JCU Student Centre:


Ground Floor, Education Central, Building 134 (Campus Map)
Phone (07) 4781 5255


Ground Floor of Building A1 (Campus Map)
Phone (07) 4232 1000

Ask Us

Ask Us provides answers to commonly asked questions at any time of the day or night. Answers are designed especially to help future and current students.

Ask Us