Apply for Credit for Previous Study
- Future Students
- JCU Student Contract – Terms and Conditions
- Townsville and Cairns medical services
- Student Membership and Representation Opportunities’
- Student Support
- Academic Support
- Student Mentor Program
- Student Travel
- ICT Services
- Ask Us
- Fees & Financial Support
- Exams & Results
- Important Dates
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Taking Online Exams
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Learning in a Virtual Environment
- Learning Online
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTD
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Applying for credit for previous study or work experience can help you complete your JCU degree in a shorter timeframe and save on overall course fees.
If you have studied at another university, TAFE, or a private tertiary education provider in Australia or overseas, you may be able to transfer credit to your current degree. Use our credit calculator to view current articulation agreements.
Articulation arrangements are the arrangements which enable students to progress from a recognised academic program to a JCU course with admission and/or credit in a defined pathway.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) refers to the skills and knowledge you've gained through work and life experiences. We can assess your RPL and determine if you are eligible for credit.
For more information, refer to the Credit information provided in our Course and Subject Handbook
Steps to apply
Check your eligibility
Use our credit calculator to find out what credit you may be able to transfer from previous study (at another institution or another JCU course) to your current course. If you can’t find any credit listed in the calculator, still apply as we will assess your circumstances individually.
Future international students who are not yet enrolled at JCU should submit a course application. Eligibility to apply for credit will be assessed during the application process.
Organise your documentation
To help JCU determine what credit you might be entitled to, please provide the following documentation.
Credit for previous study
If transferring credit from another institution, you must provide:
- A copy of academic transcript/academic record showing course/subjects completed, completion year and grades obtained, details of grading system used and weighting of the course/subject as portion of total program.
- A copy of the course/subject description including syllabus or Handbook outline.
- Any other information required by the Academic Division and any other information considered relevant by the Applicant
Must provide hard-copy original transcripts and degree testamurs from previous studies or certified documents.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Please provide the following to support your application for Recognition of Prior Learning:
- Certificates of competency or attendance from industry recognised courses.
- Observation of workplace skills and practice by a qualified observer designated by the University.
- Completion of some or all of the assessment requirements (or equivalent) as may be specified by the coordinator of the subject for which credit is sought.
- Fully documented portfolio of work completed while practising in industry. The authenticity of all work must be certified in writing by a supervisor or by the person/s responsible for commissioning the work.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae (CV) accompanied by a statutory declaration stating that the information contained in the curriculum vitae is a true and accurate record of your experience.
- Bachelor of Social Work and Masters of Social Work - Submit a completed Recognition of Prior Learning – WS3503/WS5303 Field Education 1 application form with your application.
- Bachelor of Education - Submit a completed Recognition of Professional Experience Completed within Pre-Service Teacher Education Programs application form.
Any other information required by the Academic Division and any other information considered relevant by the Applicant.
Bachelor of Social Work / Master of Social Work
Please submit a completed Recognition of Prior Learning form, found on the Social Work Field Placement page, with your application.
Submit your application
Complete the Application for Credit and attach the appropriate supporting documents.
Closing dates for applications are listed under Important Dates.
When will you hear back
We will email your JCU student account with an outcome within 20 University working days of receipt of application.
If you are unsuccessful, you will receive an email informing you of your options.
For further information, visit Ask Us – there are more than 1,000 commonly asked questions and answers available 24/7.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I apply for credit for previous study?
- I have completed subjects at another university. Can I apply for credit for previous study?
- I have other qualifications. Can I apply for credit for previous study?