When to look for work
- Develop your work skills from first year. Employers value customer service, team work and leadership skills gained through part time and casual work.
- In second year, apply for internships and vacation work programs which are advertised early each semester.
- In final year, students can apply for graduate programs, which are open from March each year for employment in the following year.
Where to look for work
View our course specific information sheets for targeted job search tips and websites.
Volunteering can be a good way to gain some local experience and obtain a local reference.
The hidden job market
In regional areas of Australia many job opportunities may not be advertised. We recommend you use all available networks to seek employment. Talk with fellow students, JCU staff, roommates and sporting teams. You could also join a club; there are several at JCU. Check them out at Market Day or contact the JCU Student Association.
Applying for work
- Prepare a resume and cover letter. Handouts with information and examples are available from our office on the first floor of the Library in Cairns and Townsville or download them from the CareerHub (see Resources).
- Meet with the Careers and Employment team for feedback.
- Follow employers' instructions when applying for an advertised job.
- If you are taking your resume to local businesses in person, be sure to dress appropriately. Your personal presentation is important.
- Glassdoor lists job vacancies, as well as company reviews, salaries and interview advice for each company:
- Be sure to request permission of your referee before you nominate them in your job application.
- Keep your referees informed – they need to know what you are applying for so that they are prepared when an employer contacts them to find out more about you.
- Your current/most recent Supervisor/Manager is preferred. An Academic referee may also be suitable. Avoid personal referees.
- If possible, use Australian referees for an Australian based job.
- If using an overseas referee we recommend email contact only.
Visa conditions for international students
International students on study visas have different work limitations. Please check the work conditions for your own visa before applying for work.
JCU's International Students website provides relevant visa information.
For more information on visa working conditions, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.