You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Help and Support
- Accounts and passwords
- Bring your own device
- Computer labs
- Eduroam WiFi
- Email and O365
- IT Help Desk
- Collaboration Tools
- Mobiles and telephony
- Secure IT
- Videoconferencing and audiovisual
Work from home
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- ICT Service Catalog
Student IT Essentials
Welcome to, or back to, James Cook University (JCU). Your IT support staff have put together some important information you will find useful.
Information & Communications Technology (ICT) is essential for teaching, learning & research at JCU. As a student at JCU, you have access to a Computer Account. Your account provides access to facilities, systems and resources, to support your learning and research while you study at JCU.
You should read these guides, so you are clear about your rights & responsibilities while at JCU.
- Account and Computer Security Guide
- Virus Protection - stay protected and download free anti-virus software
- Passwords - change your password any time
- ICT Acceptable Use Policy - your rights and responsibilities
Forgotten or misplaced your computer account details/password or concerned your account has been compromised, then email the IT Help Desk.
O365: Email, Office and One Drive
While studying at JCU, you have access to Microsoft Office 365 which includes: email, calendar, contacts, tasks, and Office online. All email from JCU will be sent to your JCU email address so check it often. You can log into O365 / email online by going to my.jcu.edu.au use your full email address - email@example.com and your JCU password to log in. The Student Email @ JCU page has more info on your JCU email account.
After logging in, you can access other O365 services, such as OneDrive with 5TB of cloud storage and Office Web Apps: online versions of Microsoft Office products. O365 gives you the flexibility of having your documents accessible online from multiple locations and from multiple devices.
The Contacts page lists email aliases for subjects & courses, useful for contacting fellow students, lecturers, tutors and colleagues by email. It should be noted that email at JCU is for learning and research purposes and that inappropriate use (or misuse) of email for unsolicited or spam email may incur a penalty.
Read the ICT Acceptable Use Policy
For more information on using email, calendar, lists and OneDrive, see the Office 365: Email, OneDrive and Office page.
JCU App, your mobile study assistant
- Need to know where to go or how to get there? Use the JCU app to see your timetable and then find out how to get there with maps
- Need to contact your tutor? Use the JCU app to search for academic staff by subject code
- Looking for something to do? Use the JCU app to find JCSA and University events on Townsville or Cairns campus
Looking for software that you can install on your own computer while studying at JCU? We have a variety of free and subsidised software available to students. Available software can be found on the Software Supplier Agreements and Offers page.
There are several online services available to students at JCU including:
- LearnJCU - an online learning environment, used for accessing subject materials, group sign up, submitting assessment, checking grades, viewing eLectures as well as communicating and collaborating with your peers. LearnJCU can be accessed on your mobile device by installing the Blackboard Mobile Learn app.
- eStudent – for managing your subject enrolments and finding subject results.
- StudentsOnline – for making pre-payments for printing and photocopying.
GATCF Computer Labs
The university computer labs, known as GATCF Labs (General Access & Teaching Computer Facilities), allow access to software, computers and the internet 24x7 across Townsville, Cairns and Mackay campuses.
Bring Your Own Laptop, Phone or Tablet
If you bring your own device (BYOD) laptop, phone or tablet to university, then these links will be useful:
We have printers across both the Townsville and Cairns Campuses. The service known as JCU CopyPrint requires your JCU student card to print, scan & copy, so make sure you have your card with you when on campus. For information regarding acquiring a card, or misplaced cards, see Student Cards.
Connecting to Print Queues - You can connect to JCU printers from your Windows or OSX laptop, as well as your Apple iPhone or iPad while on campus, see the following guides for further instructions:
CopyPrint Device Support - For help using JCU Copy/Print see the Device User Guide.
Costs, Payments and Your Account - CopyPrint costs vary depending on paper sizes and colour, you can log in to StudentsOnline check your balance and add money to your account (you can also deposit using a cash machine located in the Townsville and Cairns Libraries). For more information regarding Costs and Payments, or viewing your personal account balance visit CopyPrint Accounting.
Policies and Procedures
All students at JCU are required to comply with Australian copyright laws, government legislation and with University policies and guidelines on copyright, as a condition of their enrollment. These conditions include the appropriate use of communication facilities at JCU. Policies and guidelines you should be aware of are listed in the JCU Information and Communication Technology Policy Library, these include Conditions of Use of Computing and Communication Facilities as well as the Student Conduct Policy; see Student Charter .
JCU also has a responsibility under Australian legislation to manage access to the Internet and to control Copyright Material. As a result, access to some websites may be restricted.
To ensure computing and communications resources are used efficiently, the university records, monitors and reports on storage & internet usage.
The University also collects or receives personal information about users, in the course of managing the operations and use of its communication facilities. Confidentiality and use is covered by the ICT Acceptable Use Policy.
IT Help Desk & After Hours Support
The IT Help Desk provides Students with a first point of contact for all ICT Services offered at JCU, including IT enquiries, software requests and fault reporting.
ICT After Hours Contacts: To report a critical incident outside normal business hours, contact the ICT Duty Manager - Internal Ph: 16954 / 16955 or External Ph: +61 7 4781 6954 / 6955
Note these numbers are not for general inquiries.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses