International On-Campus Accommodation Grant
This Grant aims to support international full degree students living and studying at JCU’s Cairns Nguma-bada campus.
Recipients will be passionate about, and interested in, leading on-campus activities during their time at JCU.
This Scholarship is subject to the provisions of James Cook University’s Coursework Scholarships, Bursaries and Grants Policy.
Value and Payment of Grant
The value of the grant is up to $3.700, to be paid as a once off payment, after the census date of Study Period 2, 2023. Please allow up to 6 weeks after census date for payment. Up to 4 grants are available to be awarded.
If all the below statements describe you and your current situation, you can apply for this grant:
* I am an International student;
* Commencing in 2023 (Study Period 1, Study Period 2, Trimester 1, Trimester 2, Trimester 3, OR Block periods 82 or 85); and
* Enrolled full time (min 9 credit points) in a Undergraduate or Postgraduate degree (coursework or higher degree by research); and
* I have applied or have an offer to live on campus at the John Grey Hall Accommodation in Cairns, Nguma-bada campus.
Applicants will be assessed on the following key selection criteria:
Participation in social/sporting clubs, forums, competitions, arts, cultural or religious activities etc; (30%)
Organisational experience; (15%)
Leadership capacity/experience; (15%)
Suggested contributions to campus and accommodation life at JCU; (40%)
Applications must be submitted on the official online application form and be received no later than the advertised close date. Applicants must submit with the official form:
- A character reference attesting to your participation in extra-curricular activities, community engagement and organisational skills (from a school or community group);
- Resume outlining work experiences, leadership and organisational experiences, community engagement and participation (ie in social/sporting clubs, forums, competitions, arts, cultural or religious activities); and
- A written statement of no more than 250 words outlining:
- Reasons for choosing to study your chosen degree.
- How you intend to contribute to student life on campus and at JCU’s on-campus accommodation facility.
The award of the grant will be made in the absolute discretion of the Selection Committee, which shall comprise:
- Chair: Woendi Hampton Associate Director, International
- Carlie Sage, Manager, International Marketing and Communications; and
- Christie Smith, Unilodge John Grey Hall; or
- Others as suggested by Chair.
The Selection Committee reserves the right not to award a Grant in any year if, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, there is no applicant of sufficient merit to warrant an award.
The Selection Committee will determine all matters relating to awarding the Grant including the methodology used for ranking the applicants.
Conditions of the Grant
- If the recipient defers their study, the recipient will no longer be eligible for the award.
- If the holder of an award takes an official leave of absence, the award will be terminated.
- If the holder of an award is suspended or excluded from their course of study the award will be terminated.
- If the holder of the award is suspended or excluded from residency at John Grey Halls the award will be terminated.
- If it is found that the holder of the award had provided false or misleading information in relation to the grant, the award will be terminated.
- A student may lodge a request for review of decision in accordance with the provisions of the Student Review and Appeals Policy and Procedure
- JCU reserves the right to limit or adjust the number of scholarships awarded.
Administration of the Grant
The grant shall be administered by the scholarships office, on behalf of the Selection Committee.
The funds of the grant shall be held in an account in the name of the University and shall be administered by the officer of the University charged with administering the grant.
Where an award provides some benefit to the recipient from a body external to the University, or an obligation upon a body external to the University, the University, its servants and agents, shall not be liable for that benefit or obligation.
Please refer to Glossary of Terms.