You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- Estate Directorate
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Careers at JCU Inclusion at JCU
Inclusion at JCU
Support for Australian Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders
Candidates are supported knowing JCU’s Vice Chancellor and senior management team are fully committed to the goals and strategies laid out in the Workforce Strategy to increase, retain and develop our Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff.
Increasing numbers of staff at JCU are undertaking cultural awareness training so members on the selection panel should have an understanding of significant cultural differences.
Employee support services
JCU provides support services to all staff and these same services are available to our Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff.
As mentioned above, JCU’s Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Workforce Strategy 2015-2020 (PDF, 2144 KB) also lays out our plans for programs that additionally support staff that identify.
SAGE (Science and Gender Equity)
SAGE is a national program promoting gender equity and diversity in science, technology engineering, mathematics and medicine (STEMM). It is based on the principles of the UK's Athena SWAN Charter, an evaluation and accreditation framework that addresses the improvement of gender equity policies and practices in STEMM.
JCU is one of 45 organisations participating in the SAGE Pilot of the Athena SWAN Charter, which recognises institutional capacity to eliminate gender inequity and a demonstrated commitment to bolster the hiring, promotion and retention of women, while also improving the workplace environment for people of all genders.
JCU encourages diversity
JCU has an extensive program in place to encourage diversity, examples of which include:
- Diversity messages in our recruitment advertising, such as, “We are enriched by and celebrate our workplace diversity and welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds and abilities”.
- Extensive event calendar where JCU students and staff come together to acknowledge, celebrate and raise awareness of the diverse groups that make up our community, including Harmony Day, International Women’s Day, NAIDOC Week, Disability Action Week, IDAHOT (International Day Against Homophobia), Transphobia and Biphobia.
- Diversity training for all staff.
JCU has a comprehensive calendar of events that celebrate diversity. Joining the organisation in these activities, or participating as an invitee, is an effective way to participate in diversity focused activities. There are also many student organised events and staff are almost always welcome at these.
Access to disability services during recruitment and selection
If you are interested in applying for a position at JCU and require assistance with making your application, please discuss your needs with the Chairperson for the position.
When offered an interview, please discuss with the person who contacts you any access assistance you may require, so this can be accommodated.
Benefits available to JCU employees
Refer to Working at JCU.
Should you have any additional questions not featured in our FAQs please contact the Chairperson in the first instance.
We wish you the very best of luck with your application and thank you for considering employment opportunities with JCU – A brighter future for life in the tropics.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture