You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
About the Herbarium
Research and Programs
- Theme 1 – Tropical Biodiversity Science
- Theme 2 – Education, Knowledge Capture and Translation, Expert Advice
- Theme 3 –Biodiversity in a Changing World
- Theme 4 – Economic Botany
- Theme 5 – Tropical Biosecurity
- Tropical Indigenous Ethnobotany Centre (TIEC)
- Online Keys to Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants
- Plant Identification Workshops
Public Reference Collection
The Australian Tropical Herbarium offers the opportunity for people to carry out some duties as volunteers. Volunteers assist with some of the more routine tasks involved with specimen handling and preparation such as mounting of vascular plant specimens. Special archival materials are used in the mounting of specimens.
Herbarium volunteers are usually retirees or students with a specific or general interest in the Australian flora. Most volunteers spend about half a day a week preparing plant specimens for archiving in the Australian Tropical Herbarium. All Volunteers are covered by insurance.
If you are interested in becoming involved in the Volunteer Program or would just like to find out a bit more about it, please contact us on (07) 4232 1837 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.