COVID-19 Advice for the JCU Community - Last updated: 21 January 2022, 8am (AEST)

Apply now

Scholarships & Financial Aid

We are proud to offer a range of scholarships to international students.

Featured scholarships

  • Vice Chancellor's International Student Scholarship - provides up to a maximum of AU$40,000 per year for the minimum course duration
  • Warm Welcome Relocation Grant - AU$5,000 is available for students who are new to James Cook University in 2022
  • Warm Welcome Relocation Allowance - AU$2,000 is available to international undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students returning to Australia and commencing HDR students
  • JCU International Excellence Scholarship - provides a 25% tuition fee reduction for eligible students from the United States, Canada, Latin America, the United Kingdom and Europe
  • JCU International Merit Stipend - provides monthly payments of A$700 to assist with expenses throughout the duration of study at JCU, for eligible students from Asia, Africa, Papua New Guinea and the Middle East
  • International Master of Engineering (Professional) Scholarship - provides a 15% tuition fee reduction throughout the entire duration of the Master of Engineering (Professional) degree
  • Research Scholarships - JCU offers highly competitive scholarships to students commencing research degrees at Master or Doctoral level. For more information on eligibility criteria and application deadlines, visit JCU Research Scholarships.

Please visit the JCU scholarships website for further details, eligibility criteria and application information and to browse all scholarships available to international students.

The following scholarships are offered by external organisations.

The Universitat de València and the Peru Education Ministry Scholarship Program (PRONABEC) offers scholarships to candidates from Peru pursing  postgraduate studies. For more information visit PRONABEC.

The National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research of the Republic of Chile (CONICYT) offers scholarships to candidates from Chile. For more information visit CONICYT.

The National Council of Science and Technology, the United Mexican States (CONACYT) Scholarship Program offers scholarships to candidates from Mexico. For more information visit CONACYT.

Scholarships are available to candidates from Ecuador who are pursing postgraduate academic studies abroad. For more information visit SENESCYT.

The American Australian Association awards fellowships to Americans for advanced research and study in Australia. For more information visit USA to Australia Fellowship Applications.

Australia Awards are an Australian government scholarships and fellowships program administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the Department of Education, and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research.

For more information about Australia Awards visit Australia Awards Scholarships.

The Australian Embassy Japan provides information about a range of scholarships that are available to students from Japan wishing to pursue studies in Australia. For further information visit the Australian Embassy Japan.

Financial Aid

Some countries offer financial aid programs to students studying abroad. Most financial aid is in the form of a loan that must be repaid upon completion of the study period.

The following countries have financial aid programs where JCU is registered to administer on your behalf.  For more information please click on the links below.


If your country is not listed here, we encourage you to explore financial aid options directly within your home country. If you have secured funding from your home country and require assistance with paperwork, please contact the JCU Financial Aid office.

Sponsored Students

Students who have a scholarship or company paying the university fees on their behalf will need to seek approval of the sponsorship prior to commencement of studies. JCU is unable to issue an invoice to a third party unless we have an approved student sponsor agreement.   

Official sponsorships can only be established between the University and an organisation (e.g. foreign university, government or business).  Personal or family related sponsorships cannot be officiated.

If you are a new international student and wish to give authorisation for someone else to make inquiries on your behalf, please complete and return the third party authorisation form (PDF 142KB).