Scholarships, Training and Job Opportunities
- JCU Startup OnRamp Pre-Accelerator. Would you have a compelling business idea and entrepreneurial aspirations? Apply for highly sought-after startup 12-week program here.
- NAQS Animal Health is recruiting 2 positions: EL1 data analysis and APS6-data manager and hoping to complete recruitment in the next 2-3 weeks, so seeking applications by 23 July.
- IKERBASQUE has launched a new international call to hire 10 permanent researchers! Take a look here
- Data Analysis and Visualisation in R for Ecologists. EcoCommons and QCIF partnering to bring the ecoEd training workshop on 28 and 29 of April. Free for JCU researchers (though JCU’s membership of QCIF). Expression of interest form here.
- Graham Harrington Research Scholarship - Students engaged in or about to start projects related to birds in Northen Queensland welcome to apply by Friday, March 26. Applications require the support of the student's supervisor. The successful candidate/s will be advised by Friday, April 16. Email: email@example.com. More here
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is recruiting 400 regular faculty in the next 4 years in all research areas, in addition to over 100 new regular faculty - Hong Kong campus. More information here
- Moreton Bay Regional Council (MBRC) is inviting you to respond to a Request For Quote (RFQ) for an upcoming consultancy project. Summary:
1.A peer review of the current version of the methodology and criteria developed for use in the implementation of the MBRC Land Buyback Program. The methodology and criteria have been developed to satisfy the intent and purpose of the MBRC Land Buyback Program for Environmental Purposes Policy: 2150-118
2.Recommending a version of the methodology and criteria that can be used in a Moreton Bay Region wide GIS assessment.
3.Conducting a Moreton Bay Region wide GIS assessment using the recommended methodology and criteria.
The goal of the work is to rank each property within the Moreton Bay Region in terms of priority for acquisition through the Land Buyback Program and express the results in a GIS mapping and dataset product.
The project is expected to commence in January 2021 and conclude by May 2021. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fieldwork in humid, tropical conditions – a relevant degree would also be helpful) email@example.com
- Fantastic opportunities for training: 2021 University Vacation Employment Program (UVEP) More info here
- QDAF is looking for up to 7 staff (18 months, FT casual) for fruit fly work at Redden St and preferrable experience in classical entomology training. For more details contact Peter.Leach@daf.qld.gov.au
- Postdoctoral research program in sustainable development. The Earth Institute at Columbia University in New York, NY, seeks applications from innovative, doctoral candidates or recent PhD, M.D., J.D., or Sc.D. recipients (within 5 years of degree receipt) interested in a broad range of issues in sustainable development. The Institute is especially interested in qualified candidates from historically underrepresented groups for its Diversity Fellowships
- We are seeking volunteers to help us save the tropical forests! Millions of kilometres of new roads are set to be built in crucial biodiversity hotspots and carbon sinks all around the globe. Only half of roads are included in existing roadmaps. We need your help to document unmapped roads and contribute to vital conservation work. Contact us to know more!
- Postdoc in SE Asian Wildlife Ecology (Singapore) - Matthew Luskin and The Ecological Cascades Lab (University of Queensland) invite applicants for a postdoc based in Singapore, in collaboration with Prof David Wardle at Nanyang Technological University. The successful candidate is expected to start in December 2020 or January 2021. Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, full CV and names and contact details of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating subject line: Research Fellow – Wildlife ecology – LAST NAME
- CSIRO Oceans & Atmosphere has announced three PhD Top-Up Scholarships. Click here for more details.
Scholarships include $7,000 per annum, plus a generous operating budget of $10,000 per annum. Closing date is 31 October 2020.
- Post-doctoral fellowship program, funded by the Forrest Research Foundation is open! Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents who have completed their PhD on or after 1 January 2019 are eligible to apply. Check out here.
- PhD Scholarships in Zoology and Ecology Available at James Cook University in Cairns and Townsville. Check these fantastic opportunities to study at JCU. Here are some great examples to start your search:
The College of Science and Engineering is one of the 6 Colleges of JCU and is the home of JCU's expertise in Marine Biology, Zoology, Aquaculture, Engineering, Physical Sciences, Earth Science, and Environmental Management, which forms a strong grouping, uniquely placed to tackle the grand challenges facing the world, both fundamental research and application.
Zoology and Ecology emphasises a diverse range of intellectual disciplines including zoology, ecology, botany, behaviour and evolutionary biology, within a diverse range of terrestrial habitats. The program provides graduates with the skills required to observe, explore and understand the biological world in all its diversity. Build your zoology and ecology tool-kit at James Cook University (JCU), join the scientific community, and make a global impact
- Career opportunities at the Australian Wildlife Conservancy.
- Global Imaging Spectroscopy Futures Post Doctoral
- Research Assistant Program Enrolment Open Now
- IKEBASQUE launched a new international call and is offering 20 positions for experienced postdoctoral researchers!
- Free Deep-Learning Workshop - Risk Management and Bayesina deep learning workshops from Paula Martinex Villegas (UQ). Not for beginners. More info: Chantelle.Pinnington@jcu.edu.au
- Cape York Natural Resource Management: Biodiversity Project Officer (fixed term until 30 July 2023, full-time position)
- Department of Geography (NUS), is looking up to the level of tenured full Professor on the following areas: disturbance dynamics; macroecology & biodiversity conservation; water resources. The candidate should also have geospatial analysis or environmental modelling expertise
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam is offering Jobs focused on Crop and Plant Physiology and Terrestrial Biodiversity.
- Earth Institute Postdoctoral Research Program in Sustainable Development (email@example.com)
- Exciting Research Masters or PhD Student project available at GAME lab (JCU): Novel appeasing pheromones to minimise stress & aggression, & bolster reproductive & immune function in African wild dogs.
- Software Development and Machine Learning - Australian Institute of Marine Science in Townsville and Perth
- Remunerated short fieldwork job: Environmental Management Professional - send your CV to: Ingrid.firstname.lastname@example.org
- FIELD PROJECTS International: Research Assistant Training Program
JCU Connect - Opening doors to opportunity. A single point of contact for researchers, potential partners and research commercialisation.
Grants, Proposals and Awards
- Birds Queensland (Queensland Ornithological Society Inc) Research Grants for 2022
Birds Queensland (BQ) is offering a limited number of grants of up to $7,500 (including GST) for research projects due to commence in 2022 relating to the conservation of birds and their habitats in Queensland, especially those under threat. More information on the grant is available at the Birds Queensland (Queensland Ornithological Society Inc) website
- Destination Australia Program 2022 (Round 3) - open for applications (close at 9PM, AEST on 15 June 2021)
- AINSE Early Career Researcher Grants (ECRG) – applications now open (applications close 31 July 2021). Funding opportunity: RSS expressions of interest open, Australian Synchrotron proposal round open, Virtual XFM & IRM Microscopy Workshop. If you are interested in applying, please send your completed application and delegate signed Research Funding Approval Form to Grants Connect email@example.com by the below deadlines:
Due to Grants Connect
Early Career Researcher Grants (ECRG)
Residential Student Scholarships
Virtual XFM & IRM Microscopy Workshop
- Crawford Funds: Each year, the Queensland Committee of the Crawford Fund offers a small number of International Engagement Awards (up to $12,000 annually) to enable Queensland scientists to offer mentoring and training to scientists in developing countries in our region who are working on various aspects of food and nutrition security.
- Crawford Funds: is seeking applications from university students undertaking degrees in agriculture, animal production, fisheries, forestry, natural resource management or any area related to food and nutrition security. Our student awards will help you bring an international component to your studies and research and enable you to gain valuable practical experience working online with colleagues in a developing country, or when travel permits, an actual practical, feet-on-the-ground, opportunity in a developing country.
- Applications for ClimateLaunchpad are open now, until April 22. Apply here.– the world’s largest cleantech and green business ideas competition, taking place in over 50 countries this year.
- The Drought and Climate Adaptation Program (DCAP) is seeking applications for funding of research, development or extension projects related to emissions reduction in the agricultural sector in Queensland.
DCAP Emissions Reduction funding will fund projects up to $150,000 within a total funding allocation of $250,000, for projects running up to one year. Projects must be completed by 30 June 2022.
Unless otherwise negotiated, projects should demonstrate collaboration between research and industry organisations, and/or natural resource management organisations, at least one of which must be Queensland-based and the project lead. Projects should be submitted for consideration by the assessment panel by COB April 28 2021. All applications should be marked ‘DCAP Emissions Reduction’ and submitted to the DCAP Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply for an SCB Graduate Student Research Award: check here
- UP to $20,000 for producer groups to boost on-farm technology adoption - applications close Thursday, 22 April 2021. submission at Smartygrants website, To find out more about the program, click here.
- Free green business commercialisation pre-acelerator program and competition - CLIMATE LAUNCHPAD -The world's largest cleantech and green business. Applications open now until April 22. Apply here.
- The Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade administers an Indian Ocean regional development fund to support Australia’s Indian Ocean and Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) engagement. If you have projects or research relevant to or in the Sunderbans and/or Bay of Bengal that would benefit from Australian Government funding from as early as April/May 2021. Funding up to a maximum of AU$50,000 is available for several new and existing projects through grants. Initial responses welcome by Wednesday 10th March, 2021 - required proposal details including: brief description of the project, detailing how it would enhance Australia’s engagement in the Indian Ocean; the executing party; the total value of the project; and the amount to be expended in the 2021 financial year (which ends 30 June 2021. Contact: Daniel.Sim@dfat.gov.au
- 2021 Queensland Women in STEM Prize is open! Applications close on the 9th April 2021 at 4PM (AEST. A prize pool of $15,000 is on offer for outstanding female role models. More information here
- Koala Applied Research South East Queensland grants now open for Round 4. Grants of up to $100,000 (ex GST) are available for eligible recipients. Program guidelines and application details:Queensland Government website. For more information email to: email@example.com
- Defence sector funding opportunities can be found at; https://www.business.gov.au/Grants-and-Programs/Results
- Morris Animal Foundation announces calls for proposals to study fire-related injuries in Australian wildlife
- Expanding research collaboration between regional Australia and Southeast Asia
Funding is available for:
- Up to ten travel grants of $5,000 each for researchers from Australian regional universities to travel to partner institutions in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand or Vietnam to progress negotiations to reach agreement on the collaborative research proposed for the workshop(s).
- Logistical support for one or two workshop(s) to be hosted by an Australian regional university, including a contribution towards catering and incidentals if required.
- The attendance of researchers from Southeast Asia to participate in one or both workshops (up to ten incoming visits).