To specify the criteria for appointment to a James Cook University Distinguished Professorship.
All potential candidates for the title of James Cook University Distinguished Professorship. This does not include Adjunct appointments.
James Cook University Distinguished Professorship - a highly prestigious title which is accorded to Professors who have made an exceptional contribution to their field or discipline.
The James Cook University Distinguished Professorship is a highly distinguished title, which is accorded to eminent Professors of exceptional distinction who have made an exceptional contribution to their field or discipline.
Eligibility for appointment to a James Cook University Distinguished Professorship will be considered with reference to some or all of the following criteria:
1. An international reputation for exceptional research and scholarship as exemplified by a demonstration of sustained high level achievement of scholarly publications, performances, creative works, citations, invitations to give keynote addresses, success in obtaining research grants, election to learned academics, honorary degrees, awards and prizes. Evidence that may be presented in support of this can include:
2. Professional peer recognition of significant achievements at a state, national and international level exemplified by leadership of learned societies and exceptional contributions to continuing education and peer review. Evidence presented in support of this may include:
3. Demonstrated evidence that the candidate has successfully guided the development of younger colleagues and postgraduate students through supervision, mentoring, monitoring and collaboration.
4. Demonstrated research team leadership - fostering the research of other groups and individuals in the college/department/institutes/centres and related disciplines as appropriate.
5. Involvement in, and contribution to, activities extending beyond the University, particularly those relating to the candidate's profession or discipline, which reflect favourably on the University; an ability to liaise and communicate effectively with members of the community, and where appropriate, professional and industry bodies in relation to research.
A James Cook University Distinguished Professorship is a five yearly renewable award. It will lapse immediately on the retirement or resignation of the occupant.
There is no limit on the number of James Cook University Distinguished Professorships which the University may appoint, but the number awarded will reflect the fact that this is a highly prestigious title.
Recipients of the James Cook University Distinguished Professorship will receive a medal.
Date for next review:
Policy updated to take account of restructure of Council Committees and procedures removed
Minor amendment to reflect current organisational structure
Quality, Standards and Policy
Policy review date extended to 31/12/17 on request by Deputy Director HR. Approved by DVC Services and Resources.