You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
High Voltage Access Policy
To specify the policy and procedures for access to high voltage substations and electrical equipment under the control of James Cook University.
This policy applies to all staff, contractors and any other persons requiring access to the high voltage substations and electrical equipment under the control of James Cook University.
As per Section 7.8.4 of the AS 3000: 2000 - Wiring Rules which states:
Access - Substations and electrical equipment should not be accessible to unauthorised persons.
As per AS 3000: 2000, Clause 1.4.14:
Authorised Person - The person in charge of the premises, or the licensed electrical contractor or electrician or other person appointed or selected by the person in charge of the premises, to perform certain duties on the premises.
Person in charge:
For the purposes of this policy, this shall be the Director, Facilities Management Office.
Policy and Procedures
Access to High Voltage Areas
1. Substations and electrical equipment which are located on James Cook University Sites and under the control of James Cook University, shall not be accessible to, or entered by, unauthorised persons.
2. For each University site where there are High Voltage Areas under the control of James Cook University, the Director, Facilities Management Office shall appoint in writing an officer who shall be an Authorised Person and the holder of the only issuable key to High Voltage Areas at that University site. This officer shall be delegated to authorise entry and issue the key to suitably trained and qualified persons, when access to High Voltage Areas is required for essential maintenance or operational requirements.
3. For the Douglas Campus, Townsville, the Authorised Person shall normally be the Coordinator, Electrical and Mechanical Infrastructure. The Director, Facilities Management Office, shall also appoint in writing, the Leading Hand – Electrical to act as the Authorised Person and key holder, on any occasion that the Supervisor is absent from work.
4. For the Smithfield Campus, Cairns, the Authorised Person shall normally be the Maintenance Supervisor. The Director, Facilities Management Office, shall also appoint in writing, the Operations Manager to act as the Authorised Person and key holder, on any occasion that the Supervisor is absent from work.
5. Access to High Voltage Areas will only be approved for suitably qualified and trained persons, who must hold a current Electrical Licence and must be competent in High Voltage work. The relevant Electrical Licence and proof of High Voltage competency must be sighted by the Authorised Person, prior to approval being given and issuing of the key.
6. When access is required to High Voltage Areas by qualified persons, a written Job Safety Analysis shall be submitted to the Authorised Person, at least 24 hours prior to access.
7. The Authorised Person shall maintain a log book detailing the name/s of person/s to whom access has been granted, the date and area of access.
Related documents, legislation or JCU Statutes
1. Electrical Safety Act 2002.
2. Electrical Safety Regulation 2002.
3. Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995.
4. A.S. 3000: 2000 – Wiring Rules.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Date for next review:
Description of changes
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved policy framework
Quality, Standards and Policy
There are no related procedures.
There are no other related documents.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture