To specify the policy and procedures for access to high voltage substations and electrical equipment under the control of James Cook University.
This policy applies to all staff, contractors and any other persons requiring access to the high voltage substations and electrical equipment under the control of James Cook University.
As per Section 7.8.4 of the AS 3000: 2000 - Wiring Rules which states:
Access - Substations and electrical equipment should not be accessible to unauthorised persons.
As per AS 3000: 2000, Clause 1.4.14:
Authorised Person - The person in charge of the premises, or the licensed electrical contractor or electrician or other person appointed or selected by the person in charge of the premises, to perform certain duties on the premises.
Person in charge:
For the purposes of this policy, this shall be the Director, Facilities Management Office.
1. Substations and electrical equipment which are located on James Cook University Sites and under the control of James Cook University, shall not be accessible to, or entered by, unauthorised persons.
2. For each University site where there are High Voltage Areas under the control of James Cook University, the Director, Facilities Management Office shall appoint in writing an officer who shall be an Authorised Person and the holder of the only issuable key to High Voltage Areas at that University site. This officer shall be delegated to authorise entry and issue the key to suitably trained and qualified persons, when access to High Voltage Areas is required for essential maintenance or operational requirements.
3. For the Douglas Campus, Townsville, the Authorised Person shall normally be the Coordinator, Electrical and Mechanical Infrastructure. The Director, Facilities Management Office, shall also appoint in writing, the Leading Hand – Electrical to act as the Authorised Person and key holder, on any occasion that the Supervisor is absent from work.
4. For the Smithfield Campus, Cairns, the Authorised Person shall normally be the Maintenance Supervisor. The Director, Facilities Management Office, shall also appoint in writing, the Operations Manager to act as the Authorised Person and key holder, on any occasion that the Supervisor is absent from work.
5. Access to High Voltage Areas will only be approved for suitably qualified and trained persons, who must hold a current Electrical Licence and must be competent in High Voltage work. The relevant Electrical Licence and proof of High Voltage competency must be sighted by the Authorised Person, prior to approval being given and issuing of the key.
6. When access is required to High Voltage Areas by qualified persons, a written Job Safety Analysis shall be submitted to the Authorised Person, at least 24 hours prior to access.
7. The Authorised Person shall maintain a log book detailing the name/s of person/s to whom access has been granted, the date and area of access.
1. Electrical Safety Act 2002.
2. Electrical Safety Regulation 2002.
3. Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995.
4. A.S. 3000: 2000 – Wiring Rules.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Date for next review:
Description of changes
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved policy framework
Quality, Standards and Policy
There are no related procedures.
There are no other related documents.