You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Overpayment of Wages Policy
To outline the process to be undertaken in the event that an overpayment has occurred.
This policy applies to all employees who are covered by the James Cook University Enterprise Agreement 2016.
1. Responsibility of employee and the University
From time to time errors result in an overpayment of wages. Both the University and the employee, who has been overpaid, have an equal and shared obligation to correct the overpayment in a timely manner.
It is the preference of the University that all overpayments are repaid in full as soon as identified. The University recognises that is not possible in all situations.
Furthermore, it is the responsibility of the employee to seek financial advice prior to making any repayment decisions.
2. Authority to deduct
In the event of an overpayment of wages, an employee is required to sign a deduction authority form to permit the University to deduct up to 10% of gross fortnightly salary, or greater amount as requested by the employee, including payment of the total amount of the overpayment.
3. Repayment period
When an overpayment is repaid in full in the same financial year as the overpayment occurs, the amount repaid is equivalent to the net pay (ie the after tax amount). This is because the University can reclaim the tax paid from the ATO if it occurs in the same financial year.
Where the repayment is not repaid in the same financial year the full gross amount of the overpayment must be repaid (ie the net pay plus tax). This is because the University cannot claim the tax back where it goes over financial years.
4. Financial Hardship
An employee who may suffer financial hardship in repaying the overpaid monies can request to negotiate another payment plan. Furthermore, an employee can request to negotiate a payment plan to pay out their overpayment in the form of a lump sum payment. Employees will have the opportunity to raise any mitigating circumstances that may impact upon the recovery timeframe of an overpayment of wages.
5. Mitigating circumstances
The Director - Human Resources Management (HRM) can where mitigating circumstances exist determine an appropriate recovery of the overpayment outside of this policy.
Related documents, legislation or JCU Statutes
Director, Human Resources Management
Remuneration & Human Resources Committee
Date for next review:
|18-1||25/05/2018||Administrative amendment to update link to JCU Enterprise Agreement 2016.||Quality, Standards and Policy Officer|
|17-1||09/08/2017||10/08/2017||Mid-year review of HR Policies in line with the HR Operational Plan Item, Deliver Policy Reviews; Fitness for Future Purpose.||Deputy Director, Human Resources|
|16-1||22/12/2016||22/12/2016||Policy review date extended to 31/12/17 on request by Deputy Director HR. Approved by DVC Services and Resources|
There are no related procedures.
There are no other related documents.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture