You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Special Studies Program Policy
JCU is committed to providing staff with opportunities to carry out sustained scholarly activity or gain additional professional experience outside JCU, in order to maintain and enhance the quality of its teaching, research and engagement, plus the University’s national and international profile.
The Special Studies Program (SSP) provides eligible academic staff the opportunity to undertake an appropriate program of research or study that is of significance and value to the individual’s personal development and the strategic direction of the University.
This policy applies to academic staff covered by the JCU Enterprise Agreement 2016 (the Agreement). It does not apply to casual academic staff and short-term academic visitors.
Special Studies Program (SSP) – an approved program of study or research normally outside of the University.
Continuous Service – means a period during which the staff member is employed by the University, but does not include any period (an excluded period) that does not count as service. Unpaid periods of absence that do count as service include a period of stand-down, and a period of absence under community service leave. Continuous service will cease where a break in service of greater than 90 days occurs between the end of one employment period and the commencement of another.
An excluded period does not break the employee’s continuity of service but does not count towards the length of the employee’s continuous service.
Break in Service – means any period of time where a JCU staff member does not hold a current employment contract (i.e. fixed term or continuing) or is not participating in a casual engagement with JCU.
Applicable Continuous Service – means the period of continuous service calculated from the end date of the staff members previous SSP, or in circumstances where the staff member has not previously participated in SSP is calculated from the date the applicant meets Eligibility.
1.1 The coordination and management of an individuals’ approved SSP is the responsibility of the academic division where the staff member primarily works.
1.2 The Division may impose a maximum number of participants to the SSP each year, including staffing and budgetary considerations.
1.3 SSP may be undertaken in Australia and/or overseas but would not normally be undertaken at JCU.
2.1 Applicants will:
be classified as Associate Lecturer or above; and
hold an appointment of at least 0.5 FTE; and
have completed at least 36 months of continuous service prior to the start of SSP.
2.2 Approval may be given to an academic staff member holding a fixed-term appointment subject to Eligibility above and provided the SSP ends prior to the end date of the fixed term appointment.
3.1 Where a staff member believes they meet both the Eligibility and the criteria (as contained in the SSP Procedure), but their application is not granted, they may appeal the decision.
Related policy instruments
Related policy instruments include but are not limited to the following documents.
Further related instruments can be found at the JCU Human Resources website.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Human Resources Committee
Date for next review
12 August 2018
[Approval date - the date the approval authority approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment]
[Implementation Date - the date the policy was published in the Policy Library and is the date the policy takes effect]
|18-1||28/05/2018||Administrative amendment to update reference to JCU Enterprise Agreement.||Quality, Standards and Policy|
* Updated to align with JCU’s policy framework and the JCU Enterprise Agreement 2013 – 2016
* Refinement of Definitions and ‘Academic Staff’ removed from title
* Alignment of role titles to the University structure
Refer to (3/15) HR minutes for further details
Deputy Director, Human Resources
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved Policy Framework
Quality, Standards and Policy Unit
Special studies program
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture