You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Graduate Certificate of Education (Academic Practice) Internal Sponsorship Policy
To specify the procedures for the award of internal sponsorships to students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate of Education (Academic Practice).
Students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate of Education (Academic Practice).
Staff – for the purpose of this policy, the term ‘staff’ shall be taken to mean JCU staff, JCU Singapore staff and JCU Brisbane staff.
Policy and Procedures
The Graduate Certificate of Education (Academic Practice) is a postgraduate coursework course for which tuition fees are payable. The tuition fees payable are as listed each year in the approved schedule of postgraduate domestic tuition fees.
Staff from the following four categories upon recommendation from their respective College Dean, Director or Campus Dean will be awarded an internal sponsorship of tuition fees, on the approval of the Dean, Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement (or nominee).
Staff who are: members of the academic teaching staff; and employed on at least a 50% fractional appointment; and employed on a contract of no less than 2 years.
Staff who are: currently teaching; and have been employed in casual or short term teaching contracts averaging at least 30 hours per year for three years or equivalent.
Staff who do not meet the criterion for categories 1 or 2; but who are currently teaching 30 hours per year; or have equivalent learning and teaching responsibilities.
JCU higher degree by research students who are: more than one year from completion of their degree (that is, three year degree students must be in their first or second year of candidature); and currently teaching 30 hours per year or equivalent.
All other students enrolling in the Graduate Certificate of Education (Academic Practice) shall be liable to pay tuition fees.
A staff member may request a review of a decision made under the provisions of this policy.
As the provision of internal sponsorship of tuition fees for staff members undertaking the Graduate Certificate of Education (Academic Practice) is an entitlement associated with being a JCU staff member, requests for review of a decision made this policy will be made as a staff member rather than a student.
Any staff member wishing to lodge a request for review of a decision made under this policy must do so under the following provisions, rather than the provisions of the Student Complaint Management Policy and Procedures.
The review process is as follows:
1. The staff member may lodge a request in writing to the Dean, Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement setting out the grounds for review and including evidence of work history and current employment to support the case. Other than in exceptional circumstances, the request for review of decision must be submitted within 10 working days of the date of the notification to the staff member.
2. The request for review of decision will be considered by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic). The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) will advise the staff member in writing of the determination of the review of decision.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic
Date for next review:
Description of changes
Policy Sponsor amended to reflect approved Policy Framework
Quality, Standards & Policy Officer
Roles amended to reflect organisation re-structure
Academic Board (2/13)
Education Committee approval to amend course title from: Graduate Certificate of Education (Tertiary Teaching) to: Graduate Certificate of Education (Academic Practice)
Tuition fees, Tertiary Teaching
There are no related procedures.
There are no other related documents.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture