You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Policy Professores Emeriti Procedure
Professores Emeriti Procedure
This procedure establishes the process for the granting of the title Professor Emeritus.
This procedure applies to nomination of a Professor for the granting of the title of Professor Emeritus.
Professor Emeritus is a prestigious title which may be accorded to Professors who on retirement or resignation meet the criteria for the granting of the title.
Two senior colleagues of the University will jointly nominate a retiring or resigning Professor for appointment as a Professor Emeritus. The nomination will be made to the Provost for consideration and the nominators will be reasonably confident the nominee will meet the eligibility criteria defined in the Professores Emeriti Policy.
The Provost will consider the nomination, and, if in agreement with the nominators that the nominee will likely meet the eligibility criteria, will submit the nomination to the Vice Chancellor’s Advisory Committee.
The Vice Chancellor’s Advisory Committee shall determine whether the candidate meets the eligibility criteria for the granting of the title of Professor Emeritus. The Committee is able to request whatever relevant information it requires concerning the candidate in order to make its determination. If the Vice Chancellor’s Advisory Committee believes that the eligibility criteria have been satisfied, the Committee will advise the Vice Chancellor on the merits of the nomination.
The Vice Chancellor will consider the Vice Chancellor’s Advisory Committee advice and, subject to the Vice Chancellor’s endorsement, will request the Awards and Ceremonies Committee to consider the nomination.
If the Awards and Ceremonies Committee endorses the nomination the University Secretary will forward the candidate’s name to Council with a recommendation for the granting of the title of Professor Emeritus.
The Council will consider the recommendation for appointment and advise the Vice Chancellor of its decision, which in turn will be conveyed to the candidate.
If Council resolves to grant the title of Professor Emeritus, a formal letter of offer will be made to the recipient by the Chancellor.
If a nomination is not taken forward the Provost’s Office will inform the nominators if it fails at Stage 1 and the Secretariat if it fails at Stages 2 to 4.
Related policy instruments
Related documents and legislation
Date for next review
|19-1||17/05/2019||22/05/2019||Responsibility for making the formal offer to grant the title of Professor Emeritus amended from Vice Chancellor to Chancellor.||Quality, Standards and Policy|
|18-1||30/04/2018||Changes made to reflect headline restructure 30/04/2018.||Quality, Standards and Policy|
Procedure removed from the associated policy and updated to reflect restructure of Council Committees; Policy sponsor and approval authority updated.
Quality, Standards and Policy Unit
Professores Emeriti; Professor Emeritus; Appointment Procedure
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture