You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Policy Salary Packaging Program Procedure
Salary Packaging Program Procedure
The intent of this procedure is to enable staff members to participate in a salary packaging program, whereby the staff member can receive part of their salary in the form of benefits, payment of which is deducted from the staff members pre-tax salary rather than after-tax salary.
This procedure applies to new or existing staff members of JCU Australia. It does not apply to casual staff and short-term academic visitors or adjuncts.
1. JCU’s partnership with nlc Pty Ltd
- James Cook University has partnered with nlc Pty Ltd to offer an extensive salary packaging program to employees. nlc were selected by the University after a thorough tender process and market evaluation.
- JCU will continue to manage salary packaging for Superannuation.
2. Entering into a Salary Packaging Program agreement
- The staff member should review the Salary Packaging Program – Benefits Guide, which provides detail of the various benefits offered at JCU.
- After reviewing the Salary Packaging Program – Benefits Guide, any staff member who would like to enter into a package (excluding superannuation) or investigate further should contact nlc directly via phone on 1800 652 652, by emailing email@example.com or visiting www.nlc.com.au .
- After reviewing the Salary Packaging Program – Benefits Guide, any staff member who would like to enter into an agreement relating to superannuation, should make application to Remuneration Services at JCU on the JCU prescribed form.
- It is important that staff members seek their own independent professional legal, financial and taxation advice before entering into any salary sacrificing arrangement. The University accepts no liability for staff members failing to obtain advice on financial matters concerning their remuneration.
- All costs associated with salary packaging (including establishment and administration fees) are the financial responsibility of the staff member and are to be met by the staff member, including in circumstances such as leave without pay or termination of employment.
3. Finalising, amending, or ceasing a Salary Packaging Program agreement
- Where a Salary Packaging Program agreement is due to conclude, or where the staff member wishes to amend the agreement, or where the staff member’s work arrangements may impact the agreement (e.g. participating in leave without pay) the staff member should contact nlc directly (excluding superannuation).
- Any staff member who would like to amend or cease an agreement relating to superannuation should make application on the JCU prescribed form, as amended from time to time.
- An agreement set for the purposes of superannuation, will cease automatically on cessation of employment.
- Where a staff member is ceasing employment with the University, the staff member should contact nlc directly.
- Any outstanding amount for salary packaged items will need to be cleared prior to departing from the University and before the termination payment is processed.
- Where the pay deduction received does not match the benefit/expense, JCU will recover or reimburse any gap.
Related policy instruments
Related policy instruments include but are not limited to the following documents. Further related instruments can be found at the JCU Human Resources website.
- JCU Enterprise Agreement 2016
- Salary Packaging Program Policy
- Salary Packaging Program - Benefits Guide
Policy Sponsor and approver of procedure
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Date for next review
16 June 2019
|18-1||29/05/2018||Administrative amendment to update reference to JCU Enterprise Agreement 2016.||Quality, Standards and Policy|
Deputy Director, Human Resources
Salary packaging program, salary packaging, salary sacrifice, flexible remuneration, benefits guide, salary packaging – benefits guide.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture