This procedure determines the arrangements relating to the certification, ratification and publication of subject results.
This procedure applies to the finalisation and publication of subject results for undergraduate and postgraduate coursework subjects. This procedure does not apply to the finalisation and publication of results for non-coursework subjects.
Definitions of terms used in this procedure are as per the Policy Glossary.
1. The Subject Coordinator, or other staff member authorised by the College Dean, shall enter into the Student Information System, the recommended result for each student enrolled in a subject in a particular study period by the date specified by the College Dean.
2. During the results certification and ratification process, other than in exceptional circumstances, a student’s subject result will not be amended without consultation with the Subject Coordinator and the College Dean.
3. Each College shall have one or more Assessment Committees that shall meet after the end of each Study Period in which the College has offered subjects, including block mode subjects.
3.1 Each Assessment Committee will be chaired by the College Dean, or nominee.
3.2 Each Assessment Committee will also comprise of at least the following academic staff:
4. The quorum for each Assessment Committee should be at least one half of the relevant Subject Coordinators, plus the Chair. Where a quorum is not obtained, the Chair shall act on the Committee’s behalf.
5. The Assessment Committee(s) shall make recommendations to the College Dean on the final result for each student enrolled in each subject offered during that Study Period. In considering the results recommended by the Subject Coordinators, the Assessment Committee(s) shall:
5.1 review the allocation and spread of results for each subject, ensuring that any modification or scaling of marks has been applied fairly, systematically and for sound academic reasons; and
5.2 ensure the results awarded properly reflect the levels of performance of individual students; and
5.3 ensure the results awarded are in accordance with relevant University policies; and
5.4 review the results of individual students who have applied (a) for special consideration, or (b) to sit a deferred examination.
6. The recommendations of the Assessment Committee shall be properly recorded and signed by the Chair.
7. Following the receipt of the recommendations of the Assessment Committee, and by the date specified by the Director of Student Services, the College Dean shall certify to the Director, Academic Quality and Strategy the subject results for that Study Period. In doing so, the College Dean is confirming that the procedures outlined in Clause 5 have been undertaken.
8. The Director, Academic Quality and Strategy, has the responsibility of ratifying all subject results and approving their release for publication.
9. The Director, Academic Quality and Strategy shall:
9.1 consider the results certified by the College Dean; and
9.2 review the allocation and spread of results; and
9.3 ratify the final results for subject offerings of the Division when satisfied that the correct procedures have been followed and the results awarded are in accordance with relevant University policies.
10. The Director, Academic Quality and Strategy may choose to establish one or more Divisional Assessment Committee(s) to assist with the procedures outlined in Clause 9.
11. Following the Results Publication Date for the relevant subject offering, a student’s subject result may only be changed in the following circumstances:
11.1 Update of an interim result
11.2 Correction of an error
11.3 Outcome of an appeal
11.4 Outcome of an allegation of Student Academic Misconduct made against the student
12. All changes to student results will be authorised in accordance with the Academic and Student Delegations Register
13. Interim results shall be reviewed and updated within 12 months of the Result Publication Date.
Related policy instruments
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic
Date for next Major Review
NOTE: A minor amendment will not result in a change of the next major review date.
Approval date - the date the approval authority approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the policy was published in the Policy Library and is the date the policy takes effect
Amendments made as part of review of policies and procedures associated with grades and results. Refer to Education Committee Minutes (2/17) 6 April.
Manager, Student Finance and Examinations
Minor amendments: Removal of ‘nominee’ from clause 3; Addition of definitions for ‘Ratify’ and ‘Certify’.
Acting Director, Student Services
<Name and role of procedure author>
study period, results publication date, ratify, certify, distribution of subject grades, Assessment Committee, end date