You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
FMPM 740 Travel
To set out the overarching principles to guide decisions in respect of the request, review and approval of travel for Official University Business.
This policy applies to all staff, students, guests who undertake travel in order to execute Official University Business.
Approval to undertake travel and incur related expenditures.
In accordance with Financial Delegation Policy and Financial Delegation Register.
Compliance with related legislation
Director, Financial and Business Services
Establishment and review of travel allowances
Director, Financial and Business Services
A person or people engaged by the University to execute Official University Business who is not a staff member or student.
Additional costs incurred by the traveller to conduct Official University Business limited to items such as: Wi-Fi, telephone, laundry, short term parking and public transport tickets. Gratuities and any costs of a personal or entertainment nature such as toiletries or magazines are not reimbursable.
Official University Business
Activities that enable the effective execution of teaching, research, engagement and administration of the University or that are otherwise approved by the relevant Financial Delegate.
Suppliers engaged under a preferred supplier arrangement with the University after appropriate competitive process.
Reasonable travel, sustenance and shelter
Expenditure directly related to travel that a reasonable person would consider appropriate to execute Official University Business in a safe, timely, efficient and professional manner.
Costs associated with transport, accommodation, sustenance (being all meals and snacks), incidentals and booking of travel.
The University will pay or reimburse travel expenses incurred by staff and students on approved Official University Business travel for costs associated with:
- maintaining the health and safety of the traveller
- efficiently and economically fulfilling the Official University Business purpose of the travel
- providing reasonable transport, sustenance and shelter for the traveller while executing Official University Business
- compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations; and
- booking, paying for and acquitting travel related activity when undertaken using the University’s Preferred Suppliers.
Travel must be subject to approval from the appropriate delegate in advance of any expenses being incurred and undertaken in conjunction with FMPM 741: Procedure – Travel. Expenditure that is not addressed by this policy is subject to FMPM 710: Procurement and FMPM 711: Procurement Procedure.
Payment or reimbursement of costs is subject to the provision of appropriate evidence of the approval, nature, value, timing and source of expenditure through the expense management system within 21 days of a trip being completed.
The University will not reimburse or pay for expenses incurred in relation to private travel as described by the Australian Taxation Office, or expenses determined by the approver to be unreasonable when considering the Official University Business purpose of travel.
The administration of Guest travel will be determined by the nature of the agreement between the University and the Guest. Where the University incurs travel costs directly for Guest travellers this policy applies. Where Guests incur travel expenditure in accordance with terms agreed with the University and seek reimbursement this policy does not apply.
Related documents, legislation or JCU Statutes
State Procurement Policy (published by the Queensland Government)
Various Tax Rulings, as applicable
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Date for next review
Amendments to reference University’s sustainability ideals, remove procedure, align with current form of FMPM documents and increase clarity.
Policy Sponsor and Approval Authority updated to reflect the approved Policy and Delegations Framework
Quality Standards and Policy Unit
Finance Committee (07/11)
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture