You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarship Policy
This policy outlines the administrative rules concerning higher degree by research stipend and fee-offset scholarships at JCU funded by the Australian Federal Government Research Training Program (RTP).
This policy has been developed in response to the Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2017, which provide for Commonwealth Scholarships under Part 2-4 of the Higher Education Support Act 2003.
All HDR students undertaking HDR higher degrees by research with James cook University.
HDR higher degree by research: an Award at Master or Doctoral level located at AQF levels 9 or 10 (of which two thirds will be devoted to research, research training and independent study).
Professional Doctorate any AQF Level 10 Doctorate at JCU that is not a Doctor of Philosophy.
RTP Scholarship a form of support awarded to a student in terms of support items which could include the following items:
RTP Allowance a type of RTP Scholarship to assist with ancillary costs incurred by a HDR candidate in undertaking a HDR and may include but are not limited to:
a. for overseas HDR candidates, a standard Overseas Student Health Cover policy approved by the Commonwealth Department of Health and which covers the candidate and their spouse and dependants (if any);
b. HDR thesis printing and academic publication costs.
RTP Fees Offset a type of RTP Scholarship to assist with course fees that would otherwise be payable by a HDR candidate. The value of the RTP Fees Offset for a candidate reflects: (1) the RTP funding awarded to JCU on the basis of weighted HDR completions and research income, (2) the in-time load of eligible HDR candidates, and (3) the number of stipend scholarships and allowances awarded and their value. The RTP Fee Offset is a component of the RTP funding as described above, and its purpose is to meet some of the costs of a candidate’s research education.
RTP Stipend a type of RTP Scholarship to assist eligible HDR candidates with general living costs
Domestic Candidate a HDR candidate who is an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen, or an Australian Permanent Resident.
International Candidate a HDR candidate who is not a domestic candidate.
- Under the RTP Scholarship framework there are three types of eligible HDR candidate as summarised in the table below:
- Domestic candidate without a RTP stipend but with a RTP fee offset. Such candidates must have consumed less than 4 EFTSL. The eligibility and process for entry into a HDR and hence an RTP fee offset is outlined in the HDR Application Procedure.
- Domestic candidate with RTP stipend, RTP fee offset and RTP allowance. The eligibility and process entry into a HDR and hence an RTP fee offset is outlined in the HDR Application Procedure. The eligibility and process for award of an RTP stipend and access to the RTP allowance, is outlined in the HDR Scholarship Scoring Procedure.
- International candidate with RTP stipend, RTP fee offset and RTP allowance. The eligibility and process entry into a HDR and hence an RTP fee offset is outlined in the HDR Application Procedure. The eligibility and process for award of an RTP stipend and access to the RTP allowance, is outlined in the HDR Scholarship Scoring Procedure.
RTP Fee Offset
- There is a cap of 10% on the amount of RTP funding that can be used to support international HDR candidates.
- Candidates awarded an RTP scholarship may be enrolled in a co-tutelle or joint degree.
- The RTP stipend amount will be allocated according to the allowable amounts as defined by the relevant government department. Stipends for candidates identifying as Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander may be awarded at the maximum rate. Stipends for outstanding candidates or candidates involved in strategic programmes as identified by JCU from time to time may be offered at an increased rate within the limits, as recommended by the Research Education Sub-Committee.
- Periods of RTP scholarship support will be a minimum/maximum of 3/4 EFTSL for doctorate candidates as specified in the individual scholarship offer and 2 EFTSL for masters candidates.
- Existing HDR candidates eligible for RTP scholarships at the time of the implementation of this policy and the registration of the Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2017 will be allocated to one of the HDR candidate “types” above for a duration dependent on their course commencement date, ensuring at least equivalent support. Their student record will be amended accordingly.
- Part-time RTP stipend and/or Fees-Offset scholarships can be awarded to domestic HDR candidates who are enrolled part-time and who have a medical condition or carer-responsibilities that preclude them from full-time candidature, or in circumstances approved by the Dean, Graduate Research on a case by case basis. The value of such scholarships will be half the corresponding full-time rate. The Australian Taxation Office considers part-time stipend scholarships to be taxable income.
- The provision of supervision and minimum resources for candidates awarded an RTP scholarship are outlined in the HDR Supervision Procedure and HDR Minimum Resources Procedure respectively.
- RTP scholarship awardees must adhere to the HDR Requirements, the HDR Student Charter, and the JCU Student Code of Conduct and all Policies and Procedures relating to HDR candidates at JCU.
- Candidates can undertake paid leave on an RTP Stipend Scholarship in accordance with the Postgraduate Research Scholarship Conditions.
- Unpaid leave or the suspension of a stipend, otherwise known as a Leave of Absence can be taken as per the HDR Variation and Extension of Candidature Procedure.
- RTP Stipend Scholarship holders are permitted to work an average of no more than 8 hours employment a week over the whole calendar year, as per the Postgraduate Research Scholarship Conditions.
- RTP Scholarship holders wishing to make changes to their enrolment must do so as per the HDR Variation and Extension of Candidature Procedure and/or HDR Upgrade Procedure.
- RTP Scholarship Termination is as per the Postgraduate Research Scholarship Conditions.
- Grievance and review for RTP Scholarship holders is as per the JCU Student Complaint Management Policy, the HDR Under Review Procedure, or via the Queensland Ombudsman.
- An approved industry internship may take place during the RTP offset scholarship period, which may be extended for the period of candidature if that period is less than the limits listed above. The availability of a stipend scholarship during a period of internship will be determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the availability of stipend support.
- If an HDR candidate submits their thesis during the RTP offset scholarship period, they may continue to receive the scholarship on terms specified by a formal agreement with the Dean, Graduate Research to undertake an approved activity relevant to their candidature such as an industry internship or the preparation of publications from their thesis.
- RTP Stipend and/or Offset Scholarship holders must ensure that the Commonwealth’s contribution is acknowledged as per the Postgraduate Research Scholarship Conditions. The acknowledgement must include the mention of the candidate’s support through an “Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship”.
Related policy instruments
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Date for next Major Review
|18-2||30/04/2018||Changes made to reflect headline structure 30/4/2018.||Quality, Standards and Policy|
|18-1||23/02/2018||26/02/2018||Amendment to scholarship offering||Manager, Graduate Research Operations|
Amendments to increase flexibility of scholarship offering.
Dean, Graduate Research School
Interim status removed, minor amendments.
Manager, Graduate Research Operations
Policy established as an INTERIM policy – to be reviewed before 22/06/2017
Graduate Research School
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture