- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- JCU Connect
Safety and Wellbeing
- JCU Respect Now Always, Commitment and Reviews
- JCU Respect Now Always, Training, Workshops and Events
- Bullying, Discrimination & Harassment
- Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault
- Cyber and Technology-facilitated Abuse
- Emergencies, Critical incidents and Disasters
- Quick Links - Support Services
- Quick Links - Policy and Procedures
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
EVACAUTION DOES NOT MEAN PANIC – REMAIN CALM
When you first go to an area to work or study look out for the Evacuation Plan, location of exits and location of Fire Extinguishers.
In the work area always ensure emergency exits are not obstructed by furniture or other items.
Emergency Exits are clearly marked.
Evacuate the Building when the Fire Alarm sounds or when instructed to evacuate by a responsible staff member or by Emergency Response Personnel.
If evacuating in the event of a fire, close doors and windows to slow the spread of fire.
Assist others who may need help.
Remain calm and move in an orderly fashion. Take personal items such as bags with you.
Once a building is evacuated you should not re-enter the building until given the all clear by Emergency Response Personnel.
After exiting the building proceed to the nearest Emergency Assembly Area.
The person in charge should take the following actions:
Designate a person to supervise the Assembly Area.
Count heads as staff, students and visitors leave the building.
Do a final check of toilets, offices and store rooms. If a room is not accessible notify Fire Service on their arrival.
Knowing that no one is still in the building is the most important fact.
If there is smoke keep as close to the floor as possible. Smoke kills faster than fire.