JCU Sport Sporting Clubs
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders in Marine Science
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Reputation and Experience
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anthropological Laboratory for Tropical Audiovisual Research (ALTAR)
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre (AgTAC)
- Living on Campus
- How to apply
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- JCU Aquaculture Solutions
- AusAsian Mental Health Research Group
- Area 61
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Boating and Diving
- JCU-CSIRO Partnership
- Employability Edge
- Career Ready Plan
- Careers at JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyber Security Hub
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Research Division
- Services and Resources Division
- Education Division
- Elite Athletes
- Environmental Research Complex [ERC]
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- General Practice and Rural Medicine
- JC 'U' Orientation
- Give to JCU
- Art of Academic Writing
- Art of Academic Editing
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Engagement
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- Inherent Requirements
- IsoTropics Geochemistry Lab
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- Research and Innovation Services
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Events
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Ideas Lab
- JCU Job Ready
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Mabo Decision: 30 years on
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Contextual Science for Tropical Coastal Ecosystems
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procurement
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TropEco for Staff and Students
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- Clinical Psychedelic Research Lab
- Centre for Tropical Biosecurity
- Open Day
Join a club
JCU has several clubs you can join in both Townsville and Cairns.
Goju Karate Jutsu
JCU Rugby Union
Founded in 1967, JCU Rugby Club is one of the longest-running rugby union clubs in Townsville. If Rugby Union is your favourite sport, you can represent JCU. Find out how to get involved at the club's Facebook or send them an email.
JCU Water Polo
If you want to improve your fitness, make friends, and spend more time in the water in North Queensland, Water Polo is the sport for you. To learn more about the JCU club, head over to their Facebook or send an email.
Ross River Senior Football Club
Ross River JCU FC Inc. (RRFC) is a soccer club in Townsville based at James Cook University. RRFC is open to all interested players, coaches and volunteers. You can get in touch with RRFC through their Facebook or via email.
Townsville Tiger Sharks Underwater Hockey
Originally developed by the British Navy to train their divers to move and work efficiently underwater, the sport quickly evolved into a fast-paced competition. Games are played at Long Tan pool in Townsville, and you can find out more on Facebook or by sending an email.
Townsville Ultimate Disc Inc.
University Hawks AFL
JCU Meditation and Yoga Club
Rockclimbers Association North Queensland Inc.
This club usually runs outdoor trips every weekend, catering for any age and experience level, helping people get out there and experience rock climbing. Learn more about the adventure of rock climbing on Facebook, or send the club an email.
Saints Cricket Club
One of seven clubs that compete in the Townsville Cricket Incorporated Competition. All skill levels welcome with several tiers of teams, from A grade to 4th grade. To get a bat in your hands and start playing, head to the club's Facebook page, or send an email.
You can join these clubs via the JCU Student Association Townsville clubs page.
JCU Basketball Association
If basketball is your sport of choice you can represent JCU on the court. You’ll also make great friends and have a great time. To find out how to join, send the club an email.
JCU GAZ Swim Club
JCU Kendo Club
A Japanese martial art based on sword fighting. Martial arts are a great way to work muscles you’ve never used before, and they’re always fun. To get a Shinai in your hands, send the club an email.
JCU Nicci P Run Club
With beautiful weather all year round, there’s no better way to see Cairns than to run along its many scenic routes with your friends. To get started, jog over to the club's Facebook or send an email.
You can join these clubs via the JCU Student Association Cairns clubs page.
Start a club
If you haven’t found what you’re looking for here, but want to share your favourite sport with your friends and the JCU community, don’t hesitate to start a club. The JCU Student Association can help students start clubs in new sports, and there are ongoing resources to ensure it can be run smoothly.
Sport is a key part of a thriving campus culture which JCU values. The JCU Student Association has resources and contacts on hand to help new and existing clubs run smoothly, so their members can focus on sport.